A novel side-feed quasi-Yagi type antenna capable of triple-frequency operation at about 1900, 2400 and 3600 MHz is presented in this paper. The antenna is composed of a folded quasi-Yagi element and a modified CPW-to-CPS transition. The proposed antenna can be mounted perpendicularly to the feed circuit board of an array antenna so that it offers a novel design with a free degree of feed point so as to save device space, and its folded quasi-Yagi element can result in a low profile to the system. The experimental results demonstrate that the proposed antenna can operate over three frequency bands, with -10 dB reflection coefficient bandwidths of 200 MHz, 200 MHz, and 400 MHz at the central frequencies of 1.9, 2.4, and 3.6 GHz, respectively. Moreover, in the whole working bands, the antenna basically keeps the same radiation pattern and the gain is over 2.6 dBi.
2. Bemani, M. and S. Nikmeh, "A novel wide-band microstrip Yagi-Uda array antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 389-406, 2009.
3. Bayderkhani, R. and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband and low sidelobe linear series FED Yagi-link antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 153-167, 2009.
4. Chou, H. T., K. L. Hung, and C. Y. Chen, "Utilization of a Yagi antenna director array to synthesize a shaped radiation pattern for optimum coverage in wireless communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 851-861, 2009.
5. Yeo, J. and J.-I. Lee, "Series-fed two dipole array antenna using bow-tie elements with enhanced gain and front-to-back ratio," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1641-1649, 2012.
6. Baliarda, C., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1781, 2000.
7. Teisbaek, H. B. and K. B. Jakobsen, "Koch-fractal Yagi-Uda antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 149-160, 2009.
8. Chen, W., L. Jen, and S. Zhang, "Radiation pattern optimization for Yagi-Uda arrays of shaped dipole antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, No. 16, 1264-1265, 1994.
9. Gianvittorio, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Design, simulation, fabrication and measurement of a multiband fractal Yagi antenna," 2003 IEEE Topical Conference on Wireless Communication Technology, 265-266, 2003.
10. Liu, S. and X. Zhang, "LCN for analysis of fractal Koch Yagi arrays," Asia-Pacific Conference Proceedings, Microwave Conference Proceedings, APMC 2005, Vol. 4, 2005.
11. Zheng, G., A. A. Kishk, A. B. Yakovlev, and A. W. Glisson, "Simplified feed for a modified printed Yagi antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 8, 464-465, 2004.
12. Latif, S. I. and L. Shafai, "Gain enhancement of small microstrip antennas using multilayered laminated conductors,", University of Manitoba, 2007.
13. Cheng, D. K., "Gain optimization for Yagi-Uda arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 33, No. 3, 42-46, Jun. 1991.
14. Mao, J. Y., Z. R. Li, Q. X. Guo, H. Zhang, X. Q. Zhang, X. F. Wu, and Y. Yang, "A wideband quasi-Yagi antenna with arrow-shaped dipoles for digital TV band applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 13, 1716-1723, 2012.
15. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequency and pattern reconfigurable Yagi antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 379-389, 2012.
16. Ding, Y., Y. C. Jiao, P. Fei, B. Li, and Q. T. Zhang, "Design of a multiband quasi-Yagi-type antenna with CPW-to-CPS transition," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1120-1123, 2011.