A compact dual-band MIMO coupling element based antenna with high port isolation is proposed for the first time. The proposed antenna comprises four nonresonant coupling elements, the matching circuit, chassis of the mobile terminal, and de-coupling structures. The proposed antenna can cover two working bands of E-GSM900 and PCS1900. The measured results show that the isolation between the coupling elements operating at the same frequency is higher than 20 dB. The proposed structure can be applied to the MIMO system.
2. Cui, S., Y. Liu, W. Jiang, and S. X. Gong, "Compact dual-band monopole antennas with high port isolation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 10, 579-580, 2011.
3. Jensen, M. A. and J. W. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-2824, 2004.
4. Gong, Q., Y.-C. Jiao, and S.-X. Gong, "Compact MIMO antennas using a ring hybrid for WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2-3, 431-441, 2011.
5. Li, H., J. Xiong, and S. L. He, "Extremely compact dual-band PIFAs for MIMO application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 17, 869-870, 2009.
6. Jusoh, M., M. F. B. Jamlos, M. R. B. Kamarudin, and M. F. B. A. Malek, "A MIMO antenna design challenges for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 36, 357-371, 2012.
7. Bae, S., Y.-K. Hong, J.-J. Lee, J.-H. Park, J. Jalli, G. Abo, H. M. Kwon, and C. K. K. Jayasooriya, "Miniature and higher-order mode ferrite MIMO ring patch antenna for mobile communication system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 53-74, 2010.
8. Lin, S.-Y. and I.-H. Liu, "Small inverted-U loop antenna for MIMO applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 34, 69-84, 2013.
9. Sharawi, M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "Isolation improvement in a dual-band dual-element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013.
10. Chung, J.-Y., T. Yang, and J. Lee, "Low correlation MIMO antennas with negative group delay," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 22, 151-163, 2011.
11. Karimian, R., M. Soleimani, and . M. Hashemi, "Tri-band four elements MIMO antenna system for WLAN and WiMAX application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 17-18, 2348-2357, 2012.
12. Zuo, S., Y.-Z. Yin, Z.-Y. Zhang, W.-J. Wu, and J.-J. Xie, "Eigenmode decoupling for MIMO loop-antenna based on 180o coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 11-20, 2011.
13. Cui, S., S. X. Gong, Y. Liu, W. Jiang, and Y. Guan, "Compact and low coupled monopole antennas for MIMO system applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 703-712, 2011.
14. Min, K.-S., M.-S. Kim, C.-K. Park, and M. D. Vu, "Design for PCS antenna based on WiBro-MIMO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 77-83, 2008.
15. Villanen, J., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekas, and P. Vinikainen, "Coupling element based mobile terminal structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 7, 2142-2153, 2010.
16. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekas, and I. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 10, 1433-1444, 2002.