A general design procedure of decoupling networks, between two coupled antennas, is proposed using a single transmission line connected between the input ports of the antennas at a specified distance. A rigorous analysis for the decoupling circuit is introduced considering the return loss of the antennas into calculations. Furthermore, using numerical optimization, enhancement of decoupling between the antenna ports achieved. Full-wave analysis and measurements are provided to verify the proposed technique.
2. Paulraj, A., D. Gore, R. Nabar, and H. Bolcskei, "An overview of MIMO communications --- A key to gigabit wireless," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 92, No. 2, 198-218, Feb. 2004.
3. Getu, B. and J. Andersen, "The MIMO cube --- A compact MIMO antenna," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 4, No. 3, 1136-1141, May 2005.
4. Zheng, J., X. Gao, Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "A compact eighteen-port antenna cube for MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 445-455, Feb. 2012.
5. Andersen, J. and H. Rasmussen, "Decoupling and descattering networks for antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 24, No. 6, 841-846, Nov. 1976.
6. Best, S. R., "Small antennas," Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th Edition, Chapter 6, 4-16, McGraw Hill, 2007.
7. Dossche, S., S. Blanch, and J. Romeu, "Optimum antenna matching to minimise signal correlation on a two-port antenna diversity system," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 19, 1164-1165, Sep. 2004.
8. Besoli, A. , J. Romeu, L. Jofre, and F. De Flaviis, "Novel design methodology of matching networks based on the use of symmetry operators," IEEE in Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APSURSI' 09, 1-4, Jun. 2009.
9. Zuo, S. , Y.-Z. Yin, Y. Zhang, W.-J. Wu, and J.-J. Xie, "Eigenmode decoupling for MIMO loop-antenna based on 180 coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 11-20, 2011.
10. Chen, S.-C., Y.-S. Wang, and S.-J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3650-3658, Dec. 2008.
11. Coaetzee, J. C., "Dual-frequency decoupling networks for compact antenna arrays," International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, Vol. 2011, 2011.
12. Albannay, M. M., J. C. Coetzee, X. Tang, and K. Mouthaan, "Dual-frequency decoupling for two distinct antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1315-1318, 2012.
13. Su, S.-W., C.-T. Lee, and F.-S. Chang, "Printed MIMO-antenna system using neutralization-line technique for wireless USB-dongle applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 456-463, Feb. 2012.
14. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. Le Thuc, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "Study and reduction of the mutual coupling between two mobile phone PIFAs operating in the DCS1800 and UMTS bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3063-3074, Nov. 2006.
15. Chiu, C.-Y., C.-H. Cheng, R. Murch, and C. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, Jun. 2007.
16. Li, J. F., Q. X. Chu, and X.-X. Guo, "Tri-band four-element MIMO antenna with high isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 24, 235-249, 2011.
17. Zhang, S., B. K. Lau, Y. Tan, Z. Ying, and S. He, "Mutual coupling reduction of two PIFAs with a T-shape slot impedance transformer for MIMO mobile terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1521-1531, Mar. 2012.
18. Saenz, E., K. Guven, E. Ozbay, I. Ederra, and R. Gonzalo, "De-coupling of multifrequency dipole antenna arrays for microwave imaging applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2010, 2010.
19. Bait-Suwailam, M. , M. Boybay, and O. Ramahi, "Electromagnetic coupling reduction in high-profile monopole antennas using single-negative magnetic metamaterials for MIMO applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 9, 2894-2902, Sep. 2010.
20. Lau, B. K. and J. Andersen, "Simple and efficient decoupling of compact arrays with parasitic scatterers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 464-472, Feb. 2012.
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., 254, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.
22. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., 354-356, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.
23. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, May 2003.
24. Stein, S., "On cross coupling in multiple-beam antennas," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 5, 548-557, Sep. 1962.