A broadband zeroth-order resonant (ZOR) antenna based on asymmetric coplanar waveguide (ACPW) is presented. By adopting the epsilon negative transmission line (ENG-TL), a zeroth-order resonance mode can be achieved. We propose an asymmetric coplanar waveguide structure which offers the design freedom to realize the broadband ZOR antenna, where the antenna's bandwidth is characterized by an equivalent circuit parameters. The antenna has the compact unit cell dimensions of 5×13.8 mm2. The measured results show that the operating bandwidth is about 1050 MHz (1.90-2.95 GHz), and the peak gain and radiation efficiency are 2.46 dBi and 91% at 2.3 GHz. Owing to the characteristics of broad bandwidth, high efficiency, omnidirectional radiation, and easy manufacturing, the proposed ACPW ZOR antenna is very suitable for modern wireless communication systems (UMTS, WLAN, WIMAX, LTE).
2. Liu, S. X. and Q. Y. Feng, "Compact multi-band loop antennas using CPW-based CRLH quarter-wave type resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 47-60, 2012.
3. Wu, G.-C., G.-M. Wang, T. Li, and C. Zhou, "Novel dual-composite right/left-handed transmission line and its application to bandstop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 29-35, 2013.
4. Huang, J.-Q. and Q.-X. Chu, "Compact UWB band-pass filter utilizing modified composite right/left-handed structure with cross coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 179-186, 2010.
5. Ourir, A., R. Abdeddaim, and J. De Rosny, "Tunable trapped mode in symmetric resonator designed for metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 115-123, 2010.
6. Kim, D.-O., N.-I. Jo, H.-A. Jang, and C.-Y. Kim, "Design of the ultrawideband antenna with a quadruple-band rejection characteristics using a combination of the complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 93-107, 2011.
7. Feng, T. H., Y. H. Li, H. T. Jiang, W. X. Li, F. Yang, X. P. Dong, and H. Chen, "Tunable single-negative metamaterials based on microstrip transmission line with varactor diodes loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 35-50, 2011.
8. Geng, L., G.-M. Wang, H.-Y. Zeng, and M.-W. Chui, "Dual composite right/left-handed leaky-wave structure for dual-polarized antenna application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 191-199, 2012.
9. Yu, H.-Z. and Q.-X. Chu, "A broadband PIFA with zeroth-order resonator loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 67-77, 2011.
10. Yoo, S. and S. Kahng, "CRLH ZOR antenna of a circular microstrip patch capacitively coupled to a circular shorted ring," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 15-26, 2012.
11. Ramezanpour, S., S. Nikmehr, and A. Poorziad, "Novel design of modified composite right/left-handed unit cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 20, 13-27, 2011.
12. Abdalla, M. A., M. A. Foad, H. Elregeily, and A. Mitkees, "Wide-band negative permittivity metamaterial for size reduction of stop-band filter in antenna applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 55-66, 2012.
13. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, and J. G. Liang, "Novel CRLH TL metamaterial and compact microstrip branch-line coupler application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 20, 173-186, 2011.
14. Segovia-Vargas, D. , F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, E. Ugarte-Munoz, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Quad-frequency linearly-polarized and dual-frequency circularly-polarized microstrip patch antennas with CRLH loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 91-115, 2013.
15. Tang, M.-C., S. Xiao, D. Wang, C. Wei, and B. Wang, "A compact planar negative permittivity ZOR Antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1122-1130, 2011.
16. Park, J. H., Y. H. Ryu, J. G. Lee, and J. H. Lee, "Epsilon negative zeroth-order resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3710-3712, Dec. 2007.
17. Cao, W.-Q., A. J. Liu, B.-N. Zhang, T.-B. Yu, and Z.-P. Qian, "Compact broadband CPW-fed ZOR antennas with gradual change structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 17-18, 2249-2255, 2012.
18. Lee, H. M., "A compact zeroth-order resonant antenna employing novel composite right/left-handed transmission-line unit-cells structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1377-1380, 2011.
19. Jang, T., J. Choi, and S. Lim, "Compact coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed zeroth-order resonant antennas with extended band-width and high e±ciency on vialess single layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 363-372, Feb. 2011.
20. Chen, P. W. and F. C. Chen, "Asymmetric coplanar waveguide (ACPW) zeroth-order resonant (ZOR) antenna with high efficiency and bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 527-530, 2012.
21. Lai, A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Infinite wavelength resonant antennas with monopolar radiation pattern based on periodic structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 868-876, Mar. 2007.