This paper presents a compact conical beam antenna based on quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide (QMSIW). The antenna array is consisted of six isosceles right-angled triangle metallic patch printed on the upper side of the substrate in a windmill-shape and diagonal periodic metallic via holes drilled along the hypotenuse of the triangle patch. The planer structure exhibits conical beam radiation. The typical radiation is obtained at 5.2 GHz with conical beam radiation pattern. The measured gain is about 5.36 dBi and the radiation efficiency is around 50%.
2. Nakano, H., H. Iwaoka, K. Morishita, and J. Yamauchi, "A wideband low profile antenna composed of a conduction body of revolution and a shared parasitic ring," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 1187-1192, 2008.
3. McEwan, , N. J., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, E. M. Ibrahim, P. S. Excell, and J. G. Gardiner, "A new design of horizontally polarized and dual-polarized uniplanar conical beam antennas for HIPERLAN," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 229-237, 2003.
4. Hirokawa, J. and M. Ando, "Single-layer feed waveguide consisting of posts for plane TEM wave excitation in parallel plates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, 625-630, 1998.
5. Xu, F., K. Wu, and X. Zhang, "Periodic leaky-wave antenna for millimeter wave applications based on substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 340-347, 2010.
6. Jin, C. and A. Alphones, "Leaky-wave radiation behavior from a double periodic composite right/left handed substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 1727-1735, 2011.
7. Cheng, Y. J., "Substrate integrated waveguide frequency-agile slot antenna and its multibeam application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 153-168, 2012.
8. Pirhadi, A., M. Hakkak, and F. Keshmiri, "Using electromagnetic bandgap superstrate to enhance the bandwidth of prob-fed microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 1215-1230, 2006.
9. Wang, R., L.-S. Wu, and X.-L. Zhou, "Compact folded substrate integrated waveguide cavities and bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 135-147, 2008.
10. Martinez-Ros, A. J., J. L. Gomez-Tornero, and G. Goussetis, "Planar leaky-wave antenna with flexible control of the complex propagation constant," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 1625-1630, 2012.
11. Lai, Q. H., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, Y. S. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Half-mode substrate integrated waveguide transverse slot array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 1064-1072, 2009.
12. Xu, W., L. W. Li, H. Y. Yao, T. S. Yeo, and Q. Wu, "Lefthanded material effects on waves modes and resonant frequencies: Filled waveguide structures and substrate-loaded patch antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 15, 2033-2047, 2005.
13. Lee, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB Vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009.
13. Talebi, N. and M. Shahabadi, "Application of generalized multipole technique to the analysis of discontinuities in substrate integrated waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 227-235, 2007.