A novel compact coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed printed antenna with triple bands for WLAN and WiMAX applications is presented. By using a parasitic circular patch, a pair of symmetrical inverted-L strips and a 50-Ω transformer, the antenna can effectively provide a good input impedance matching. The tuning effects of the ground size, the parasitic circular patch and the symmetrical inverted-L strips to the resonance and matching condition are then examined, and the prototype of the proposed antenna is further fabricated and measured. The experimental and numerical results exhibit that the antenna has impedance bandwidth for S11≤-10 dB of 2.32-2.80 GHz, 3.06-4.13 GHz and 5.03-6.04 GHz, which can cover both the WLAN 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz bands and the WiMAX 2.5/3.5/5.5 GHz bands. Also, a stable monopole-like radiation pattern and an average antenna gain of 3.06 dBi across the operating bands have been obtained.
2. Kuo, Y.-L. and K.-L.Wong, "Printed double-T monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band WLAN operations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 2187-2192, 2003.
3. Chen, H.-D., J.-S. Chen, and Y.-T. Cheng, "Modified inverted-L monopole antenna for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operations," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, 1567-1568, 2003.
4. Li, B., Y.-Z. Yin, Y. Zhao, and Y. Ding, "A CPW-fed triple-band antenna with a π-shaped slot for WLAN and WiMAX applications," ss Strait Quad-regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, 393-396, 2011.
5. Bicer, M. B. and A. Akdagli, "A novel microstrip-fed monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 7, 904-913, 2012.
6. Yang, K., H. Wang, Z. Lei, Y. Xie, and H. Lai, "CPW-fed slot antenna with triangular SRR terminated feed line for WLAN WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, 685-686, 2011.
7. Liu, H.-W., C.-H. Ku, and C.-F. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 240-243, 2010.
8. Sun, X., G. Zeng, H.-C. Yang, and Y. Li, "A compact quadband CPW-fed slot antenna for M-WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 395-398, 2012.
9. Krishna, D. D., M. Gopikrishna, C. K. Anandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "CPW-fed Koch fractal slot antenna for WLAN WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 389-392, 2008.
10. Rahanandeh, M., A. S. N. Amin, M. Hosseinzadeh, P. Rezai, and M. S. Rostami, "A compact elliptical slot antenna for covering bluetooth/WiMAX/WLAN/ITU," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 857-860, 2012.
11. Zhang, X. Q., Y.-C. Jiao, and W. H. Wang, "Miniature triple-band CPW-FED monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 97-105, 2012.
12. Li, B., Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "Dual rectangular ring with open-ended CPW-FED monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 101-107, 2011.
13. Ansoft Corporation, Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) Version 13.0, , Ansoft Corporation, 2011.