A novel design of decoupling network for a compact three-element array is presented. The proposed decoupling network has simple and compact structure that can be implemented easily with microstrip lines. The conventional microstrip open stubs can be used to match the decoupled ports of the array. The proposed decoupling and matching network is applied to a compact three-monopole array operating at 2.4 GHz. Both the simulated and the measured results show that the ports of the array are well matched and decoupled at the operating frequency.
2. Yu, X., L. Wang, H.-G. Wang, X. Wu, and Y. Shang, "A novel multiport matching method for maximum capacity of an indoor MIMO system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 67-84, 2012.
3. Bhatti, R., S. Yi, and S.-O. Park, "Compact antenna array with port decoupling for LTE-standardized mobile phones," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1430-1433, 2009.
4. Friel, E. M. and K. M. Pasala, "Effects of mutual coupling on the performance of STAP antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron Syst., Vol. 36, No. 2, 518-527, 2000.
5. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Two L-shaped array-based 2-D DOAs estimation in the presence of mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 273-298, 2011.
6. Lee, J.-H. and Y.-L. Chen, "Performance analysis of antenna array beamformers with mutual coupling effects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 291-315, 2011.
7. Getu, B. and J. Andersen, "The MIMO cube --- A compact MIMO antenna," IEEE Trans. Wireless Comm., Vol. 4, No. 3, 1136-1141, 2005.
8. Zheng, J., X. Gao, Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "A compact eighteen-port antenna cube for MIMO systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 445-455, 2012.
9. Coetzee, J. C. and Y. Yu, "Port decoupling for small arrays by means of an eigenmode feed network," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1587-1593, 2008.
10. Lee, T.-I. and Y. Wang, "Mode-based information channels in closely coupled dipole pairs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 2, 3804-3811, 2008.
11. Mohammad, S. S., B. N. Ahmed, and N. A. Daniel, "Isolation mprovement in a dual-band dual element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013.
12. Feresidis, A. P. and Q. Li, "Miniaturised slits for decoupling PIFA array elements on handheld devices," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 6, 310-312, 2012.
13. Jiang, Y., Y. Yu, M. Yuan, and L. Wu, "A compact printed monopole array with defected ground structure to reduce the mutual coupling," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 14-15, 1963-1974, 2011.
14. Chiu, C.-Y., C.-H. Cheng, R. Murch, and C. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, 2007.
15. Lin, D.-B., I.-T. Tang, and M.-Z. Hong, "A compact quad-band PIFA by tuning the defected ground structure for mobile phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 24, 173-189, 2010.
16. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003.
17. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, L.-N. Chen, and F.-S. Zhang, "An effective analysis method for EBG reducing patch antenna coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 187-193, 2011.
18. Dossche, S., S. Blanch, and J. Romeu, "Optimum antenna matching to minimize signals correlation on a two-port antenna diversity system," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 19, 1164-1165, 2004.
19. Chen, S.-C., Y.-S. Wang, and S.-J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3650-3658, 2008.
20. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communication," EEE Trans. Vehic. Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, 1987.
21. Thaysen, J. and K. Jakobsen, "Envelope correlation in (N, N) MIMO antenna array from scattering parameters," Microw. Opt. Tech. Letts., Vol. 48, No. 5, 832-834, 2006.