This letter demonstrates a technique for a folded slot antenna fabricated on low resistive silicon wafer, using pre-etched cavity and Benzocyclobutene (BCB) support membrane. The most distinctive feature of this method is that a cavity is pre-etched before the antenna fabrication process using low-cost potassium hydroxide (KOH) wet etching. BCB membrane is employed to support the antenna above the cavity for its low permittivity as well as excellent thermal and mechanical stability. The fabrication process discussed in detail and the fabricated antenna was characterized. Experimental results show that the antenna resonates at 15.4 GHz with a very wide impedance bandwidth, up to 14.6%.
2. Carrillo-Ramirez, R. and R. W. Jackson, "A highly integrated millimeter-wave active antenna array using BCB and silicon substrate," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory & Tech., Vol. 52, No. 6, 1648-1653, 2004.
3. Sharma, P., S. K. Koul, and S. Chandra, "Micromachined inset-fed patch antenna at Ka-band," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 693-696, Yokohama, Japan, 2006.
4. Abdel-Aziz, M., H. Ghali, H. Ragaie, H. Haddara, E. Larique, B. Guillon, and P. Pons, "Design, implementation and measurement of 26.6 GHz patch antenna using MEMS technology," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 399-402, 2003.
5. Zhang, Z.-Y., S. Zuo, X. Zhang, and G. Fu, "Ultra-wideband cavity-backed bowtie antenna for pattern improvement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 37-46, 2013.
6. Eldek., A. A., "Design of a high-gain cavity-backed slot antenna with mushroom cells and bent ground walls," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 69-76, 2011.
7. Qu, S.-W. and K. B. Ng., "Wideband millimeter-wave cavity-backed bowtie antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 133, 477-493, 2013.
8. Yang, J. O., S. Bo, J. Zhang, and F. Yang., "A low-profile unidirectional cavity-backed log-periodic slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 423-433, 2011.
9. Tsai, H. S., M. J. W. Rodwell, and R. A. York, "Planar amplifier array with improved bandwidth using folded-slots," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 4, No. 4, 112-114, 1994.
10. Weller, T. M., L. P. B. Katehi, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Single and double folded-slot antennas on semi-infinite substrates," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 43, No. 12, 1423-1428, 1995.