A new design methodology for multi-band rectangular microstrip antenna using a metamaterial-inspired technique is proposed. The methodology uses the metal disk with SRR-shaped slot placed horizontally between the patch and the ground plane. With the introduction of the split ring, sub-wavelength resonance can be achieved while the dominant mode of patch cavity remains the same, so the antenna can operate at multi resonant frequencies. Construction of the multi-band antenna requires only the sandwiching of two etched circuit boards. The antenna has the properties of low profile, easy fabrication and low cost. Dual-band and tri-band antennas are fabricated and measured, which validate the design methodology.
2. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2002.
3. Randy, B., Microstrip and Printed Antenna Design, 2nd Ed., SciTech Publishing Inc., 2008.
4. Lee, B. and F. J. Harackiewicz, "Miniature microstrip antenna with a partially filled high-permittivity substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1160-1162, Aug. 2002.
5. Rowell, C. R, "A compact PIFA suitable for dual-frequency 900/1800-MHz operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 4, 596-598, Apr. 1998.
6. Augustin, G., S. V. Shynu, P. Mohanan, C. K. Aanandan, and K. Vasudevan, "Compact dual-band antenna for wireless access point," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 9, 502-503, Apr. 27, 2006.
7. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
8. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.
9. Dai, X.-W., M. Yao, X.-J. Dang, and C.-H. Liang, "Transparency of a pair of epsilon-negative slab and mu-negative slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 237-246, 2007.
10. Yao, M., C.-H. Liang, X.-W. Dai, and W. Zhao, "A new structure for localizing electromagnetic energy using two semi-infinite left-handed-medium slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 295-302, 2007.
11. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, Nov. 1999.
12. Cho, C. S., J. W. Lee, and J. Kim, "5.2 GHz notched ultra-wideband antenna using slot-type SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 6, 315-316, Mar. 16, 2006.
13. Yoon, J. H., Y. J. Yoon, W.-S. Lee, and J.-H. So, "Miniaturised artificial magnetic conductors with wide split ring resonators and interdigital structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 22, 1411-1412, Oct. 25, 2012.
14. Nornikman, H., B. H. Ahmad, M. Z. A. Abdul Aziz, M. F. B. A. Malek, H. Imran, and A. R. Othman, "Study and simulation of an edge couple split ring resonator (EC-SRR) on truncated pyramidal microwave absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 319-334, 2012.
15. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008.
16. Ahn, C.-H., D.-J. Jung, and K. Chang, "Compact parallel-coupled line bandpass filter using double complementary split ring resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 3, 506-509, Mar. 2013.
17. Ouedraogo, R. O., et al., "Miniaturization of patch antenna using a metamaterial-inspired technique," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2175-2182, May 2012.