A new design of broadband circularly polarized antenna is proposed. The antenna is composed of a square patch and a horizontal L-shaped stripline that feeds the patch at two orthogonal directions by two probes. The L-shaped feeding structure provides excitements of approximately equal amplitude and 90° phase difference and then good circularly polarized characteristics are obtained. Measured results show that the proposed antenna has 10-dB impedance bandwidth of 14.3% (2.27-2.62 GHz) and 3-dB axial-ratio bandwidth of 13.1% (2.3-2.62 GHz). Moreover, the measured gain is over 7 dBic within the effective band.
2. Mireles, E. and S. K. Sharma, "A novel wideband circularly polarized antenna for worldwide UHF band RFID reader applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 42, 23-44, 2012.
3. Wang, P., G. Wen, J. Li, Y. Huang, L. Yang, and Q. Zhang, "Wideband circularly polarized UHF RFID reader antenna with high gain and wide axial ratio beamwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 365-385, 2012.
4. Lin, Y. F., H. M. Chen, C. H. Chen, and C. H. Lee, "Compact shorted inverted-L antenna with circular polarization for RFID handheld reader," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 7, 442-444., Apr. 2013.
5. Wang, Z.-B., S.-J. Fang, S.-Q. Fu, and S.-L. Jia, "Single-fed broadband circularly polarized stacked patch antenna with horizontally meandered strip for universal UHF RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Technol., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1066-1073, Apr. 2011.
6. Xu, F., X.-S. Ren, Y.-Z. Yin, and S.-T. Fan, "Broadband single-fed single-patch circularly polarized microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 34, 203-213, 2013.
7. Chen, X., G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, Y.-L. Yan, and W. Zhao, "Circularly polarized stacked annular-ring microstrip antenna with integrated feeding network for UHF RFID readers," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 542-545, 2010.
8. Yang, S. S., K.-F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
9. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with a compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2011.
10. Singh, A. K., M. K. Meshram, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "L-strip proximity fed shorted rectangular microstrip antenna for mobile communication," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1567-1571, Jul. 2010.
11. Hang, T.-Y., Y.-Y. Chu, L.-Y. Tseng, and J.-S. Row, "Unidirectional circularly-polarized slot antennas with broadband operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1777-1780, Jun. 2008.
12. Wang, M.-Z. and F.-S. Zhang, "A circularly polarized elliptical-ring slot antenna using an L-shaped coupling strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 29-35, 2012.
13. Liu, W.-L., M.-Y. Chen, and T.-R. Chen, "A design for circularly polarized ring slot antennas backed by thin grounded substrate," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 7, 1768-1770, Jul. 2012.
14. Row, J. S., "The design of a squarer-ring slot antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1967-1972, Jun. 2005.
15. Sze, J. Y., C. G. Hsu, M. H. Ho, Y. H. Ou, and M. T. Wu, "Design of circularly polarized annular-ring slot antennas fed by a double-bent microstripline," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3134-3139, Nov. 2007.
16. Chen, Z.-N., X.-M. Qing, and H.-L. Chung, "A universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Technol., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1275-1282, May 2011.