The design and analysis of a high power and high efficiency helix traveling-wave tube operating in the Ka-band are presented. First, the double-slotted helix slow-wave structure is proposed and employed in the interaction circuit. Then, negative phase-velocity tapering technology is used to improve electronic efficiency. From our calculations, when the design voltage and beam current are set to be 18.45 kV and 0.2 A, respectively, this tube can produce average output power over 800 W ranging from 28 GHz to 31 GHz. The corresponding conversion efficiency varies from 21.83% to 24.16%, and the maximum output power is 892 W at 29 GHz.
2. Qiu, J. X., B. Levush, J. Pasour, A. Katz, C. M. Armstrong, D. R. Whaley, J. Tucek, K. Kreischer, and D. Gallagher, "Vacuum tube amplifiers," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 10, No. 7, 38-51, Dec. 2009.
3. Komm, D. S., R. T. Benton, H. C. Limburg, W. L. Menninger, and X. L. Zhai, "Advances in space TWT efficiencies," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 48, No. 1, 174-176, Jan. 2001.
4. Chong, C. K. and W. L. Menninger, "Last advancements in high-power millimeter-wave helix TWTs," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 38, No. 6, 1227-1238, Jun. 2010.
5. Chorney, P., M. E. Hines, and R. J. Madore, "High power slow wave circuit,", USA Patent No. 3519964, Jul. 1968.
6. Pchelnikov, Y. N., "Old know --- how in helix TWT development in the USSR," AIP Conference Proceeding, Vol. 691, No. 1, 112-122, Dec. 2003.
7. Kuntzmann, J. C., R. Nazet, and L. Tarreau, Traveling wave tube comprising a sleeve cut with grooves and its manufacturing process, USA Patent No. 4572985, Feb. 1986.
8. Dayton, J. A., G. T. Mearini, H. Chen, and C. L. Kory, "Diamonded-studded helical traveling wave tube," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 52, No. 5, 695-701, May 2005.
9. Henry, D., N. Santonja, and S. Wartski, Brazed-helix technology for 30 GHz power TWTs, 1986 International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, Vol. 36, 505-507, 1986.
10. Wartski, S., D. Henry, and N. Santonjia, "Development of a brazed-helix TWT for future Ka-band earth stations delivering 200W in the band 27.5-30 GHz," 1988 International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, 366-369, 1988.
11. Gong, Y., Y. Wei, W. Wang, and Z. Duan, Analysis of a novel brazed helix tape slow wave structure with high power capability, 30th IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science, 177, 2003.
12. Han, Y., Y. W. Liu, Y. G. Ding, and P. K. Liu, "Improvement of heat dissipation capability of slow-wave structure using two assembling methods," IEEE Electron Devices Letters, Vol. 29, No. 8, 955-956, Aug. 2008.
13. Han, Y., Y. Liu, Y. Ding, P. Liu, and C. Lu, "Thermal analysis of a helix TWT slow-wave structure," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1269-1272, May 2008.
14. Han, Y., Y. Liu, Y. Ding, and P. Liu, "Reliability analysis of thermal conduction of slow-wave structures assembled with different methods," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 9, No. 2, 265-268, May 2009.
15. Jung, S. S., A. V. Soukhov, B. F. Jia, and G. S. Park, "Positive phase-velocity tapering of broadband helix traveling-wave tubes for efficiency enhancement," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 80, No. 16, 3000-3002, Apr. 2002.
16. Ghosh, T. K., A. J. Challis, A. Jacob, D. Bowler, and R. G. Carter, "Improvement in performance of broadband helix traveling-wave tubes," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 55, No. 2, 668-673, Feb. 2008.
17. Srivastava, V., R. G. Carter, B. Ravinder, A. K. Sina, and S. N. Joshi, "Design of helix slow-wave structure for high efficiency TWTs," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 47, No. 12, 2438-2443, Dec. 2000.
18. Ghosh, T. K., A. J. Challis, A. Jacob, and D. Bowler, "Design of helix pitch profile for broadband traveling-wave tubes," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1135-1140, May 2009.
19. Gong, Y., Z. Duan, Y. Wang, Y. Wei, H. Yin, and W. Wang, "Suppression of in-band power holes in helix traveling-wave tubes," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1556-1561, May 2011.
20. Wei, Y. Y., L. W. Liu, Y. B. Gong, X. Xu, H. R. Yin, L. N. Yue, Y. Liu, J. Xu, and W. X. Wang, Helical slow-wave structure, USA Patent Application, No. 13/345, 121, Jan. 2012.
21. Liu, L., Y. Wei, X. Xu, F. Shen, G. Zhao, M. Huang, T. Tang, W. X. Wang, and Y. Gong, A novel helical slow-wave structure or millimeter wave traveling wave tube, 5th Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves Conference, 312-315, 2012.
22. Liu, L., Y. Wei, J. Xu, Z. Lu, H. Yin, L. Yue, H. Gong, G. Zhao, Z. Duan, W. Wang, and Y. Gong, "A novel slotted helix slow-wave structure for millimeter-wave traveling-wave tube," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 347-362, 2013.
23. Booske, J. H., M. C. Converse, C. L. Kory, C. T. Chevalier, D. A. Gallagher, K. E. Kreischer, V. O. Heinen, and S. Bhattacharjee, "Accurate parametric modeling of folded waveguide circuits for millimeter wave traveling wave tubes," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 52, No. 5, 685-694, May 2005.
24. Ansoft Corp., Ansoft HFSS user's reference, Online Available: http://www.ansoft.com.cn/.
25. Ghosh, S., P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, "Rigorous tape analysis of inhomogeneously-loaded helical slow-wave structures," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 44, No. 7, 1158-1168, Jul. 1997.
26. Liu, S. G., H. F. Li, W. X. Wang, and Y. L. Mo, Introduction of Microwave Electronics, 105, National Defence Industry Press, Beijing, China, Sep. 1985.
27. CST Corp., CST MWS tutorials, Online Available: http://www.cst-china.cn/.
28. CST Corp., CST PS tutorials, Online Available: http://www.cst-china.cn/.
29. Chong, C. K., R. C. Dawson, J. W. Forster, R. H. Le Borgne, M. L. Ramay, R. J. Stolz, and R. N. Tamashiro, Development of 500W Ka-band helix-TWT and 200W Q-band helix-TWT for communications applications, Proc. IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 191-192, 2008.
30. Bosch, E., R. Christ, M. Lefevre, J. Racamier, H. Rupp, J. Tribout, and J. Jarno, New 500W Ka band TWT's, Proc. IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 70-71, 2009.