A compact decoupling network for enhancing the ports isolation of two coupled antennas is proposed in this letter. Parallel coupled lines (PCLs) and transmission lines (TLs) with different electrical lengths are considered to control the magnitude and phase of this decoupling network, respectively. The coupling coefficient of the PCLs is adjusted with various line widths and coupled gaps so that the magnitude of this network will be equal to that of the coupled antennas. And the electrical length of the series TLs can be controlled to make the signals of coupled antennas and decoupling network out of phase. Thus, the mutual coupling between the coupled antennas can be canceled. A prototype is fabricated on a RO4003 print circuit board (PCB) for demonstration. The measured results agree quiet well with the simulation ones. High antenna isolation and good matching are simultaneously achieved at the center frequency, i.e., 925 MHz for global system mobile communications (GSM) which shows the compact decoupling network is suitable for reducing the isolation of size limited multi-antenna systems.
2. Fallahi, R. and M. Roshandel, "Effect of mutual coupling and configuration of concentric circular array antenna on the signal-to-interference performance in CDMA systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 427-447, 2007.
3. Yousefzadeh, N., C. Ghobadi, and M. Kamyab, "Consideration of mutual coupling in a microstrip patch array using fractal elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 41-49, 2006.
4. Krusevac, S., P. B. Rapajic, and R. Kennedy, "Mutual coupling effect on thermal noise in multi-element antenna systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 325-333, 2006.
5. Wang, Q. and Q. Q. He, "An arbitrary conformal array pattern synthesis method that includes mutual coupling and platform effects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 297-311, 2010.
6. Li, Z. and Y. R. Samii, "Optimization of PIFA-IFA combination in handset antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1770-1778, May 2006.
7. Rahman, A. A. and J. T. Kian, "Microwave radiation safety assessment near cellular base stations," CCSP2005, 176-180, 2005.
8. Bin-Asrokin, A., A. Bin-Abas, R. Basri, and N. Bin-Jamlus, "Design of X-polarized GSM 900 base station antenna with field test measurement," ICCEA2010, Vol. 2, 94-98, Apr. 2010.
9. Islam, M. T. and M. Shahidul Alam, "Compact EBG structure for alleviating mutual coupling between patch antenna array elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 425-438, 2013.
10. Kovacs, I. Z., P. C. F. Egger, and K. Olesen, Characterization of cross polarization discrimination in forest environment, Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 2, 725-731, 2000.
11. Zulkifli, F. Y., E. T. Rahardjo, and D. Hartanto, "Mutual coupling reduction using dumbbell defected ground structure for multiband microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 29-40, 2010.
12. Chen, S. C., Y. S. Wang, and S. J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3650-3658, Dec. 2008.
13. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003.
14. Iluz, Z., R. Shavit, and R. Bauer, "Microstrip antenna phased array with electromagnetic bandgap substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 6, 1446-1453, Jun. 2004.
15. Yang, L., M. Fan, F. Chen, J. Z. She, and Z. Feng, "A novel compact electromagnetic-bandgap (EBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Trans. Micro. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 183-190, Jan. 2005.
16. Zhao, L. Y., L. K. Yeung, and K. L. Wu, "A novel second-order decoupling network for two-element compact antenna arrays," APMC2012, 1172-1174, 2012.
17. Hannan, P. W., D. Lerner, and G. Knittel, "Impedance matching a phased-array antenna over wide scan angles by connecting circuits," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 1, 28-34, Jan. 1965.
18. Zuo, S. L., Y. Z. Yin, W. J. Wu, Z. Y. Zhang, and J. Ma, "Investigation of reduction of mutual coupling between two planar monopoles using two λ/4 slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 9-18, 2010.
19. Yu, Y. T., Y. Jiang, W. J. Feng, S. Mbayo, and S. Y. Chen, "Compact multiport array with reduced mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 39, 161-168, 2013.
20. Pozer, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.
21. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, Jun. 2007.