A novel structure is proposed as an inline resonator. The resonator has low loss, compact size and good sensing characteristics. A simple analytical form to the plasmonic waveguide discontinuity, filter resonance response and cascaded filters behavior is proposed. The model is extracted from the waveguide physical parameters and provides a physical insight into the structure of the filter. This model is simple, accurate, and shows a good agreement with FDTD simulations. The ability of the model to provide a good methodology to obtain high quality filters using cascaded inline filtering is verified using FDTD. The proposed nanofilter can be used in various plasmonic applications such as sensing, biomedical diagnostics and on-chip interconnects. Using cascaded filters, a higher quality filter is achieved.
2. Homola, J., "Present and future of surface plasmon resonance biosensors," Anal. Bioanal. Chem., Vol. 377, 528-539, 2003.
3. Maier, S. A., "Plasmonic field enhancement and SERS in the effective mode volume picture," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, 1957-1964, 2006.
4. Dionne, J. A., L. A. Sweatlock, and H. A. Atwater, "Plasmonic slot waveguides: Towards chip-scale propagation with subwavelength-scale localization," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, 035407, 2006.
5. Lau, B., M. A. Swillam, and A. S. Helmy, "Hybrid orthogonal junctions: Wideband plasmonic slot-silicon waveguide couplers," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 26, 27048-27059, 2010.
6. Lin, C., H. K. Wang, B. Lau, M. A. Swillam, and A. S. Helmy, "Efficient broadband energy transfer via momentum matching at hybrid guided-wave junctions," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 101, 123115, 2012.
7. Lin, C., M. A. Swillam, and A. S. Helmy, "Analytical model for metal-insulator-metal mesh waveguide architectures," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 29, No. 11, 3157-3169, 2012.
8. Swillam, M. A. and A. S. Helmy, "Feedback effects in plasmonic slot waveguides examined using a closed-form model," Photon.Technol. Lett., Vol. 24, 497-499, 2012.
9. Yun, B., G. Hu, and Y. Cui, "Theoretical analysis of a nanoscale plasmonic filter based on a rectangular metal-insulator-metal waveguide," J. Phys. D, Appl. Phys., Vol. 43, No. 38, 385102-1-385102-8, 2010.
10. Han, Z., V. Van, W. N. Herman, and P.-T. Ho, "Aperture-coupled MIM plasmonic ring resonators with sub-diffraction modal volumes," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 15, 12678-12684, 2009.
11. Lin, X.-S. and X.-G. Huang, "Tooth-shaped plasmonic waveguide filters with nanometeric sizes," Opt. Lett., Vol. 33, 2874-2876, 2008.
12. Huang, Y., C. Min, L. Yang, and G. Veronis, "Nanoscale plasmonic devices based on metal-dielectric-metal stub resonators," International Journal of Optics, Vol. 2012, Article ID 372048, 13, 2012.
13. Veronis, G. and S. Fan, "Bends and splitters in metal-dielectricmetal subwavelength plasmonic waveguides," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 87, 131102, 2005.
14. Maier, S. A., Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications, Springer, 2007.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Toronto, 1998.
16. Lumerical, "Multicoefficient material modelling in FDTD,", http://www.lumerical.com/solutions/whitepapers/fdtd multicoefficient material modeling.html.
17. Johnson, P. B. and R. W. Christy, "Optical constants of nobel metals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 6, 4370-4379, 1972.
18. Veronis, G., S. E. Kocabas, D. A. B. Miller, and S. Fan, "Modeling of plasmonic waveguide components and networks," J. Comput. Theor. Nanosci., Vol. 6, 1808-1826, 2009.
19. Homola, J., S. S. Yee, and G. Gauglitz, "Surface plasmon resonance sensors: Review," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Vol. 54, No. 1-2, 3-15, Jan. 25, 1999, ISSN 0925-4005, 10.1016/S0925-4005(98)00321-9.
20. Choi, I. and Y. Choi, "Plasmonic Nanosensors: Review and Prospect," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 18, No. 3, 1110-1121, May-Jun. 2012.