Complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs) are applied on a UWB Vivaldi antenna to eliminate some unwanted narrow band services. Based on the sensitivity of band rejection, we successfully separate the whole radiating patch of a Vivaldi antenna into three subareas: The feeding area, where the Vivaldi antenna demonstrates a highly sensitive response to CSRRs with a narrow notching band; The transition-area, where CSRRs transfer a ultra wideband (UWB) Vivaldi into a narrow band antenna; and the rest area, where CSRRs are proved to have little effects on the antenna bandwidth property. A band notch Vivaldi antenna with 4.8 GHz to 5.4 GHz rejection band is demonstrated to verify our study from both simulated and measured results.
2. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
3. Saleem, R. and A. K. Brown, "Empirical miniaturization analysis of inverse parabolic step sequence based UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 369-381, 2011.
4. Cai, L. Y., G. Zeng, H. C. Yang, and Y. Z. Cai, "Integrated Bluetooth and multi-band ultra-wideband antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 12, 688-689, 2011.
5. Kim, J.-Y., B.-C. Oh, N. Kim, and S. Lee, "Triple band-notched UWB antenna based on complementary meander line SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 15, 896-897, 2012.
6. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, S.-G. Mo, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A compact ultra-wideband microstrip antenna with multiple notches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 321-332, 2008.
7. Wu, Z.-H., F. Wei, X.-W. Shi, and W.-T. Li, "A compact quad band-notched monopole antenna loaded one lateral L-shaped slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 303-315, 2013.
8. Azim, R. and M. T. Islam, "Compact planer UWB antenna with band notch characteristics for WLAN and DSRC," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 391-406, 2013.
9. Yoon, I.-J., H. Kim, H. K. Yoon, Y. J. Yoon, and Y.-H. Kim, "Ultra-wideband tapered slot antenna with band cutoff characteristic," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 11, 629-630, 2012.
10. Hamid, M. R., P. Gardner, P. S. Hall, and F. Ghanem, "Multimode Vivaldi antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 21, 1424-1425, 2010.
11. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. M. Sillero, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. Garcia-Garcia, I. Gil, M. F. Portillo, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005.
12. Chen, Z. N., M. J. Ammann, X. Qing, X. H. Wu, T. S. P. See, and A. Cat, "Planar antennas," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 7, No. 6, 63-73, 2006.
13. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Design of a monopulse antenna using a dual V-type linearly tapered slot antenna (DVLTSA)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2903-2909, 2008.
14. Yao, Y., W. Chen, B. Huang, Z. Feng, and Z. Zhang, "Analysis and design of tapered slot antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Tsinghua Science and Technology, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1-6, 2009.
15. Mehdipour, A., K. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Complete dispersion analysis of Vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, 2007.
16. Zhou, B., H. Li, X. Zou, and T.-J. Cui, "Broadband and high-gain planar Vivaldi antennas based on inhomogeneous anisotropic zero-index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 235-247, 2011.
17. Velez, A., F. Aznar, J. Bonache, M. C. Velazquez-Ahumada, J. Martel, and F. Martin, "Open complementary split ring resonators (OCSRRs) and their application to wideband CPW band pass filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 4, 197-199, 2009.
18. Luo, X., H. Qian, J.-G. Ma, and E. P. Li, "Wideband bandpass filter with excellent selectivity using new CSRR-based resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 20, 1390-1391, 2010.
19. Zhang, Q.-L., W.-Y. Yin, S. He, and L.-S. Wu, "Compact substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter with complementary split-ring resonators (CSRRs)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 8, 426-428, 2010.
20. Kim, J., C. S. Cho, and J. W. Lee, "5.2 GHz notched ultra-wideband antenna using slot-type SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 6, 315-316, 2006.
21. Kim, K.-T., J.-H. Ko, K. Choi, and H.-S. Kim, "Optimum design of wideband bandpass filter with CSRR-loaded transmission line using evolution strategy," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 2, 811-814, 2012.