This paper presents a new design of high-gain low-profile resonant cavity antenna. A novel partially reflecting surface (PRS) is adopted as the superstrate with the characteristics of high-reflection magnitude and low-reflection phase that allows the reduction of cavity height to about λ/8 and the enhancement of the gain by 10.73 dB. Several significant parameters that characterize the PRS superstrate are investigated based on the unit cell simulation. The measured results show that this method is effective, and this structure can provide a high-gain at the operating frequency. The measured results agree reasonably well with the simulated ones.
2. Enoch, S., G. Tayeb, P. Sabouroux, N. Guerin, and P. Vincent, "A metamaterial for directive emission," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 89, No. 21, 213902-1-213902-4, 2002.
3. Lagarkov, A. N., V. N. Kisel, and V. N. Semenenko, "Wide-angle absorption by the use of a metamaterial plate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 35-44, 2008.
4. Zhou, L., H. Li, Y. Qin, Z. Wei, and C. T. Chan, "Directive emissions from subwavelength metamaterial-based cavities," Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, Vol. 86, 101101-1-101101-3, 2005.
5. Sievenpiper, D., R. Broas, and E. Yablonovitch, "Antennas on high-impedance ground planes," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, Vol. 3, 1245-1248, 1999.
6. Ge, Y., K. P. Esselle, and Y. Hao, "Design of low-profile high-gain EBG resonator antennas using a genetic algorithm," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 480-483, 2007.
7. Feresidis, A. P., G. Goussetis, S. Wang, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Artificial magnetic conductor surfaces and their application to low-profile high-gain planar antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 209-215, 2005.
8. Boubakri, A. and J. Bel Hadj Tahar, "Steerable and compact antenna using a cavity-based metamaterial," IEEE Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 233-235, Nov. 2011.
9. Han, K., J. Fu, Q. Wu, and J. Hua, "The design and simulation of a metamaterial and subwavelength cavity-based antenna," Cross Strait Quad-regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), Vol. 1, 545-548, Jul. 2011.
10. Wang, S., A. P. Feresidis, G. Goussetis, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Low-profile resonant cavity antenna with Artificial magnetic conductor ground plane," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 335-338, 2005.
11. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, H. S. Tae, and H. J. Lee, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006.
12. Abbasi, N. A. and R. J. Langley, "Multiband-integrated antenna/artificial magnetic conductor," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 6, 711-717, 2011.
13. Dewan, R., S. K. B. A. Rahim, S. F. Ausordin, and T. Purnamirza, "The improvement of array antenna performance with the implementation of an artificial magnetic conductor (AMC) ground plane and in-phase superstrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 147-167, 2013.
14. Kelly, J. R., T. Kokkinos, and A. P. Feresidis, "Analysis and design of sub-wavelength resonant cavity type 2-D leaky-wave antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2817-2825, Sep. 2008.
15. Zhao, G., Y. C. Jiao, F. Zhang, and F. S. Zhang, "Design of high-gain low-profile resonant cavity antenna using metamaterial superstrate," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1855-1858, 2010.
16. Yang, F. H. and W. Tang, "A novel low-profile high-gain antenna based on artificial magnetic conductor for LTE applications," 2012 10th IEEE International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 171-174, 2012.
17. Ourir, A., A. de Lustrac, and J. M. Lourtioz, "All-metamaterial-based sub-wavelength cavities (λ/60) for ultrathin directive antennas," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, 084103-1-084103-3, 2006.
18. Lima, A. C. C. and E. A. Parker, "Fabry-Perot approach to the design of double layer FSS," IEE Proceedings of Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 143, No. 2, 157-162, Apr. 1996.