In this paper, we present a wideband monopole antenna loaded with Composite Right Left Hand (CRLH) unit cell for mobile applications. By loading one CRLH unit cell, the monopole antenna can achieve wideband and generate an additional resonant mode much lower than the unloaded antenna's normal frequency. The antenna has a compact size of 0.1λ0×0.15λ0 at the lowest resonance frequency. Measured impedance bandwidth is 2000 MHz (1710~3810 MHz), which can cover one more frequency band for WiMAX applications than conventional antenna. Furthermore, it introduces a narrow band for LTE 700 applications. Stable omni-directional radiation patterns make it suitable for mobile terminals.
2. Anguera, J., A. Andujar, M. C. Huynh, C. Orlenius, C. Picher, and C. Puente, "Advances in antenna technology for wireless handheld devices," International Journal on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 2013.
3. Chen, J. H., Y. L. Ban, H. M. Yuan, and Y. J. Wu, "Printed coupled-fed PIFA for seven-band GSM/UMTS/LTE/WWAN mobile phone," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 390-401, 2012.
4. Chen, Z., Y. L. Ban, J. H. Chen, J. L. W. Li, and Y. J. Wu, "Bandwidth enhancement of LTE/WWAN printed mobile phone antenna using slotted ground structure," Progress n Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 469-483, 2012.
5. Chi, C. W. and C. H. Chang, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
6. Wang, F. J. and J.-S. Zhang, "Wideband printed dipole antenna or multiple wireless services," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1469-1477, 2007.
7. Liao, W. J., S. H. Chang, and L.-K. Li, "A compact planar multiband antenna for integrated mobile devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 1-16, 2010.
8. Ciais, P., R. Staraj, G. Kossiavas, and C. Luxey, "Compact internal, multiband antenna for mobile phone and WLAN standards," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 15, Jul. 2004.
9. Lin, C. I. and K. L. Wong, "Internal meandered loop antenna for multiband mobile phone with the user's hand," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 3572-3575, Jun. 2007.
10. Liang, J. and H. Y. D. Yang, "Varactor loaded tunable printed PIFA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 113-131, 2009.
11. Martnez-Vazquez, M., O. Litschke, M. Geissler, D. Heberling, A. M. Martinez-Gonzalez, and D. Sanchez-Hernandez, "Integrated planar multiband antennas for personal communication handsets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, Feb. 2006.
12. Hossa, R., A. Byndas, and M. E. Bialkowski, "Improvement of compact terminal antenna performance by incorporating open-end slots in ground plane," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, Jun. 2004.
13. Anguera, , J., I. Sanz, J. Mumbru, C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna with a parallel excitation of PIFA and slot radiators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 348-356, Feb. 2010.
14. Risco, S., J. Anguera, A. Andujar, A. Perez, C. Puente, and , "Coupled monopole antenna design for multiband handset devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 10, 359-364, Feb. 2010.
15. Wong, K. L., G. Y. Lee, and T. W. Chiou, "A low-profile planar monopole antenna for multiband operation of mobile handsets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 1, 121-125, Jan. 2003.
16. Anguera, J., A. Andujar, and C. Garcia, "Multiband and small coplanar antenna system for wireless handheld devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 7, 3782-3789, Jul. 2013.
17. Chen, I.-F. and C.-M. Peng, "Compact modified pentaband meander-line antenna for mobile handsets applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 607-610, 2011.
18. Yang, C.-W., Y.-B. Jung, and C. W. Jung, "Octaband internal antenna for 4G mobile handset," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 817-819, 2011.
19. Jeon, S., Y. Liu, S. Ju, and H. Kim, "PIFA with parallel resonance feed structure for wideband operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 23, Nov. 2011.
20. Ibrahim, A. A. and A. M. E. Safwat, "Microstrip-fed monopole antennas loaded with CRLH unit cells," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4027-4036, Sep. 2012.
21. Lee, C.-J., W. Huang, A. Gummalla, and M. Achour, "Small antennas based on CRLH structures: Concept, design, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 2, 10-25, Apr. 2011.
22. Chiu, S.-C., C.-P. Lai, and S.-Y. Chen, "Compact CRLH CPW antennas using novel termination circuits for dual-band operation at zeroth-order series and shunt resonances," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1071-1080, Mar. 2013.
23. Ibrahim, A. A., A. M. E. Safwat, and H. El-Hennawy, "Triple-band microstrip-fed monopole antenna loaded with CRLH unit cell," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1547-1550, 2011.