In this paper, a compact quad-band planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) for wireless communication systems is presented. The proposed PIFA consists of a radiating patch with a hook-shaped slot and a modified ground plane with pair of square-ring and rotated I-shaped slots. The antenna is fabricated on an FR4 substrate with dielectric constant of 4.4. By cutting a hook-shaped slit at radiating patch, good dual-band property can be achieved which covers 3.5 GHz worldwide interoperability for microwave access (WiMAX) and 5.2 GHz wireless local area network (WLAN) frequencies. In addition, by using a modified ground plane with a rotated I-shaped an the pair of square-ring slot, additional resonances at the higher frequencies are generated which suitable for 7.25-7.75 GHz downlink of X-band satellite communication systems and 8.02-8.4 GHz international telecommunication union (ITU) applications. Good return loss, antenna gain and radiation pattern characteristics are obtained in the frequency band of interest. The proposed antenna has a small dimension of 24×3×1.6 mm3.
2. Kumar, G., K. P. Ray, and , Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
3. Pradutt Bharti, K., H. S. Singh, G. K. Pandey, and M. K. Meshram, "Slot loaded microstrip antenna for GPS, Wi-Fi, and WiMAX applications survey," International Journal of Microwaves Applications, Vol. 2, No. 2, 45-50, 2013.
4. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Ojaroudi, "CPW-fed slot antenna for personal mobile communication service (PCS) and bluetooth applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 734-737, 2013.
5. Sen, A. and N. Chattoraj, "Dual-frequency microstrip antenna for wireless applications and effect on fraud," Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 2, 78-81, 2012.
6. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Ojaroudi, "Compact H-ring antenna with dual band operation for wireless sensors and RFID tag systems in ISM frequency bands," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 697-700, 2013.
7. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Ojaroudi, "A novel design of triple-band monopole antenna for multi-input multi-output communication," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 1258-1262, 2013.
8. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSS), Ansoft Corporation Ver. 13, , 2010.
9. Ojaroudi, M. and N. Ojaroudi, "Dual-band coplanar waveguide-fed monopole antenna for 2.4/5.8 GHz radiofrequency identification applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, 2426-2429, 2012.
10. Nashaat, D. M., H. A. Elsadek, and H. Ghali, "Single feed compact quad-band PIFA antenna for wireless communication applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2631-2635, Aug. 2005.
11. Vazquez, M. M., et al., "Integrated planar multiband antennas for personal communication handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 384-391, Feb. 2006.
12. Maka, C. K., et al., "Reconfigurable multiband antenna designs for wireless communication devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1919-1928, Jul. 2007.
13. Tzortzakakis, M. and R. J. Langley, "Quad-band internal mobile phone antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 2097-2103, Jul. 2007.
14. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSS) , Ver. 13, , Ansoft Corporation, 2010.
15. Ojaroudi, N., S. Amiri, and F. Geran, "Reconfiurable monopole antenna with controllable band-notched performance for UWB communications," 20th Telecommunications Forum, TELFOR 2012, 1176-1178, Belgrade, Serbia, Nov. 20-22, 2012.
16. Ojaroudi, N., "Compact UWB monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth using rotated L-shaped slots and parasitic structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 175-178, 2014.
17. Ojaroudi, N. and N. Ghadimi, "UWB small slot antenna with WLAN frequency band-stop function," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 21, 1317-1318, 2013.