In Chinese Compass Navigation Satellite System (CNSS for short), dual-band antennas are more attractive, because they can provide both navigation and communication services. In this paper, we present a dual-band dual-circular-polarized planar spiral-slot CNSS antenna. This antenna works at L Band (1616±5 MHz, left-handed circular polarization, LHCP) and S Band (2492±5 MHz, right-handed circular polarization, RHCP). Numerical results show that the impedance bandwidth (S11<-10 dB), 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth and antenna gain at L Band are about 242 MHz, 79 MHz and 4.92 dB, respectively, while the simulated impedance bandwidth (S11<-10 dB), 3dB axial ratio bandwidth and antenna gain at S Band are about 180 MHz, 58 MHz and 5.25 dB, respectively. An experiment was carried out to verify our design. Measured results show that impedance bandwidth (S11<-10 dB) and 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth L Band are about 300 MHz and 14 MHz, respectively, while the measured impedance bandwidth (S11<-10 dB) and 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth at S Band are about 210 MHz, 10 MHz, respectively. The measured results basically agree with the simulated ones and meet the requirement of CNSS terminal antennas.
2. Zhang, P. P., H. Wang, and Y. Wang, "Investigations of compact tri-band antenna for CNSS application," IEEE Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1100-1102, 2013.
3. Tian, X. Q., S. B. Liu, Y. S. Wei, and X. Y. Zhang, "Circularly polarized microstrip antenna with slots for Beidou (COMPASS) Navigation System," Proceedings of International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics, ISSSE, Vol. 2, 1-3, 2010.
4. Liao, W., Q.-X. Chu, and S. Du, "Tri-band circularly polarized stacked microstrip antenna for GPS and CNSS applications," ICMMT Proceedings, 252-255, 2010.
5. Wu, S.-Q., S.-B. Liu, and Z. Guo, "Coaxial probe-fed circularly polarized microstrip antenna for Beidou RDSS applications," ICMMT Proceedings, 297-299, 2010.
6. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
7. Yang, S. L. S., K. F. Lee, and A. A. Kishk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
8. Muller, D. J. and K. Sarabandi, "Design and analysis of a 3-arm spiral antenna," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 258-266, 2007.
9. Stutzke, N. A. and D. S. Filipovic, "Four-arm 2nd-mode slot spiral antenna with simple single-port feed," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 213-216, 2005.
10. Laheurte, J. M., "Dual-frequency circularly polarized antennas based on stacked monofilar square spirals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 488-492, 2003.
11. Jung, C. W., B. A. Cetiner, and F. De Flaviis, "A single-arm circular spiral antenna with inner/outer feed circuitry for changing polarization and beam characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium Proceedings, 474-477, 2003.
12. Yuan, H. Y., J. Q. Zhang, S. B. Qu, H. Zhou, J. F. Wang, H. Ma, and Z. Xu, "Dual-band dual-polarized microstrip antenna for compass navigation satellite system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 30, 213-223, 2012.