A compact wideband planar microstrip-fed quasi-Yagi antenna is presented. In order to achieve a high gain, the traditional rectangular director in one row is replaced by two rows of directors with an angle, and the overall size of the antenna is unchanged. By adjusting the angle between the two rows of directors, a better performance is achieved. The measurement results show that a broadband impedance about 85.5% (1.84-4.59 GHz) for S11 less than -10 dB and a gain about 4.5-9.3 dBi are obtained. Simulation and measurement results are provided and discussed. The agreements between the simulation and measurement results indicate that the antenna is suitable for wireless communication applications and phased arrays.
2. Avila-Navarro, E., A. Segarra-Martinez, J. A. Carrasco, and C. Reig, "A low-cost compact uniplanar quasi-Yagi printed antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 3, 731-735, Mar. 2008.
3. Ta, S. X., H. Choo, and I. Park, "Wideband double-dipole Yagi-UDA antenna fed by a microstrip-slot coplanar stripline transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44, 71-87, 2012.
4. Sor, J., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Coplanar waveguide fed quasi-Yagi antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 1, 1-2, Jan. 2000.
5. Ding, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, B. Li, and L. Zhang, "Folded triple-frequency quasi-Yagi-type antenna with modified CPW-to-CPS transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 143-152, 2013.
6. Ta, S. X., B. Kim, H. Choo, and L. Park, "Wideband quasi-Yagi antenna fed by microstrip-to-slotline transition," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 1, 150-153, Jan. 2012.
7. Kan, H., et al., "Simple broadband planar CPW-fed quasi-Yagi antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagtation Letters, Vol. 6, 18-20, 2007.
8. Han, K., Y. Park, H. Choo, and I. Park, "Broadband CPS-fed Yagi-Uda antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 24, 1207-1209, Nov. 2009.
9. Wang, Z., X. L. Liu, Y.-Z. Yin, J. H. Wang, and Z. Li, "A novel design of folded dipole for broadband printed Yagi-Uda antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 23-30, 2014.
10. Ma, T. G., C. W. Wang, R. C. Hua, and J. W. Tsai, "A modified quasi-Yagi antenna with a new compact microstrip-to-coplanar strip transition using artificial transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2469-2474, Aug. 2009.
11. Mohammed, J. R., "Design of printed Yagi antenna with additional driven element for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 67-81, Jan. 2013.
12. Lu, H. D., L. M. Si, and Y. Liu, "Compact planar microstrip-fed quasi-Yagi antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 3, 140-141, Feb. 2012.