We present a broadband microwave metamaterial (MM) absorber, the unit cell of which consists of a lumped-resistor-loaded electric-inductive-capacitive (ELC) resonator and a cut-wire on the same side of a flexible polyimide substrate. In contrast to the common MM absorber, the metallic pattern layer of the proposed structure is placed parallel to the direction of propagation of the incident wave in order to reduce the radar cross-section (RCS) at frequencies other than the targeted frequency bands. Our experiments show that the proposed absorber exhibits a peak absorption rate of 92% and 93% at 8.6 GHz and 13.4 GHz, respectively, and 88% of the full-width at half-maximum (FWHM) bandwidth is achieved.
2. Tao, H., N. I. Landy, C. M. Bingham, X. Zang, R. D. Averitt, and W. J. Padilla, "A metamaterial absorber for the terahertz regime: Design, fabrication and characterization," Optic Express, Vol. 16, 7181-7188, 2008.
3. Alici, K. B., A. B. Turhan, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Optically thin composite resonant absorber at the near-infrared band: A polarization independent and spectrally broadband configuration," Optic Express, Vol. 19, No. 15, 14260-14267, 2011.
4. Tao, H., C. M. Bingham, D. Pilon, K. Fan, A. C. Strkwerda, D. Shrekenhammer, W. J. Padilla, X. Zhang, and R. D. Averitt, "A dual band terahertz metamaterial absorber," J. Appl. Phys. D, Vol. 43, 225102-225106, 2010.
5. Li, M., H.-L. Yang, X.-W. Hou, Y. Tian, and D.-Y. Hou, "Perfect metamaterial absorber with dual bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 37-49, 2010.
6. Lee, J. and S. Lim, "Bandwidth-enhanced and polarization-insensitive metamaterial absorber using double resonance," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, 8-9, 2011.
7. Cheng, Y., H. Yang, Z. Cheng, and N. Wu, "Perfect metamaterial absorber based on a split-ring-cross resonator," J. Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 102, 99-103, 2010.
8. He, X.-J., Y. Wang, J. Wang, T. Gui, and Q. Wu, "Dual-band terahertz metamaterial absorber with polarization insensitivity and wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 381-397, 2011.
9. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, K. B. Alici, E. Ozbay, and L. Vegini, "Design of miniaturized narrowband absorbers based on resonant-magnetic inclusions," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 53, 63-72, 2011.
10. Cheng, Y. and H. Yang, "Design, simulation, and measurement of metamaterial absorber," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 52, 877-880, 2010.
11. Tao, H., C. M. Bingham, D. Pilon, K. Fan, A. C. Strikwerda, D. Shrekenhamer, W. J. Padilla, X. Zhang, and R. D. Averitt, "A dual band terahertz metamaterial absorber," J. of Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 43, 225102-225106, 2010.
12. Shen, X., T. J. Cui, J. Zhao, H. F. Ma, W. X. Jiang, and H. Li, "Polarizationindependent wide-angle triple-band metamaterial absorber," Optic Express, Vol. 19, 9401-9407, 2011.
13. Li, H., L. H. Yuan, B. Zhou, X. P. Shen, Q. Cheng, and T. J. Cui, "Ultrathin multiband gigahertz metamaterial absorbers," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 110, 0149091-0149098, 2011.
14. Zhu, B., Z.Wang, C. Huang, Y. Feng, J. Zhao, and T. Jiang, "Polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber with wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 231-239, 2010.
15. Lee, H.-M. and H.-S. Lee, "A dualband metamaterial absorber based with resonantmagnetic structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 1-12, 2012.
16. Lee, H.-M. and H.-S. Lee, "A metamaterial based microwave absorber composed of coplanar electric-field-coupled resonator and wire array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 34, 111-121, 2013.
17. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, and D. R. Smith, "Electric-field-coupled resonators for negative permittivity metamaterials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, 0411091-0411093, 2006.
18. Zhou, J., E. N. Economon, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Unifying approach to left-handed material design," Optic Express, Vol. 31, 3620-3622, 2006.