In this paper, the design of a multiband antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications is proposed. The proposed antenna comprises a circular radiating patch with a pair of rectangular slits and an inverted U-shaped slot. A hexagon-shaped slot is cut on the ground plane. By adjusting the inverted U-shaped slot, a pair of rectangular slits, and a hexagon-shaped slot, three distinct resonance frequencies centered at 2.4 GHz, 3.52 GHz, and 5.68 GHz can be generated. The measurements show that the proposed antenna can cover three frequency bands with sufficient bandwidth. The proposed antenna exhibits an omnidirectional radiation pattern and acceptable gain.The overall dimension of the proposed antenna is 25 × 39 × 1.59 mm3.
2. Hu, C., W. F. Lee, Y. E. Wu, C. F. Yang, and S. T. Lin, "A compact multiband inverted-F antenna for LTE/WWAN/GPS/WiMAX/WLAN operations in the laptop computer," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1169-1173, Dec. 2010.
3. Liao, W.-J., S.-H. Chang, and L. K. Li, "A compact planar multiband antenna for integrated mobile devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 1-16, 2010.
4. Moosazadeh, M. and S. Kharkovsky, "Compact and small planar monopole antenna with symmetrical L- and U-shaped slots for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett, Vol. 13, 388-391, Feb. 2014.
5. Mehdipour, A., A. R. Sebak, C. W. Trueman, and T. A. Denidni, "Compact multiband planar antenna for 2.4/3.5/5.2/5.8-GHz wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 144-147, 2012.
6. Hu, W., Y. Z. Yin, X. Yang, and P. Fei, "Compact multiresonator-loaded planar antenna for multiband operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2838-2841, 2013.
7. Abutarboush, H. F. and A. Shamim, "Paper-based inkjet-printed tri-band U-slot monopole antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1234-1237, Oct. 2012.
8. Liu, W. C., C. M. Wu, and Y. Dai, "Design of triple-frequency microstrip-fed monopole antenna using defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2457-2463, Jul. 2011.
9. Wan, Y.-T., D. Yu, F.-S. Zhang, and F. Zhang, "Miniature multi-band monopole antenna using spiral ring resonators for radiation pattern characteristics improvement," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 6, 382-384, Mar. 2013.
10. Xu, P., Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "Multi-band modified fork-shaped monopole antenna with dual L-shaped parasitic plan," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 6, 364-365, Mar. 2011.
11. Cao, Y., B. Yuan, and G. Wang, "A compact multiband open-ended slot antenna for mobile handsets," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1169-1173, Dec. 2011.
12. Asghar, A. M., M. Malick, M. Karlsson, and A. Hussain, "A multiwideband planar monopole antenna for 4G devices," Microwave Opt. Technol. Let., Vol. 55, No. 3, 589-593, Mar. 2013.
13. Sim, C. Y. D., F. R. Cai, and Y. P. Hsieh, "Multiband slot-ring antenna with single- and dual-capacitive coupled patch for wireless local area network/worldwide interoperability for microwave access operation," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 15, 1830-1835, 2011.
14. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
15. Chen, Z. X., Y. L. Ban, Z. Chen, K. Kang, and J. L. W. Li, "Two-strip narrow-frame monopole antenna with a capacitor loaded for hepta-band smartphone applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 31-38, 2014.