A broadband transition design between rectangular waveguide and GCPW is proposed and studied. The E-field of GCPW is designed to be gradually changed to that of waveguide via the simple tapered probes and metallic vias. The planar circuit of the transition is fabricated by low cost standard PCB process. The tolerance analysis for this transition is also given. A back-to-back transition prototype at Ka-band is fabricated and measured. The measurement results show that maximum insertion loss of 0.75 dB and return loss of better than 15 dB are obtained within a desired frequency range from 26.5 to 40 GHz. The measurement results agree well with simulation results, which validate the feasibility of this design.
2. Tien, C.-C., C.-K. C. Tzuang, S.-T. Peng, and C.-C. Chang, "Transmission characteristics of finite-width conductor-backed coplanar waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 41, No. 9, 1616-1623, 1993.
3. Lee, J. J., K.-C. Eun, D. Y. Jung, and C.-S. Park, "A novel GCPW to rectangular waveguide transition for 60 GHz applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 2, 80-82, 2009.
4. Shih, Y.-C., "Broadband characterization of conductor-backed coplanar waveguide using accurate on-wafer measurement techniques," Microw. J., Vol. 34, No. 4, 95-105, 1991.
5. Lin, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB Vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009.
6. Hung, C.-F., A.-S. Liu, C.-H. Chien, C.-L. Wang, and R.-B. Wu, "Bandwidth enhancement on waveguide transition to conductor backed CPW with high dielectric constant substrate," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 15, No. 2, 128-130, 2005.
7. Vahidpour, M. and K. Sarabandi, "Ground coplanar waveguide to rectangular waveguide transition," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2009 APSURSI, 1-5, 2009.
8. Aliakbarian, H., S. Radiom, V. Tavakol, P. Reynaert, B. Nauwelaers, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and G. Gielen, "Fully micromachined W-band rectangular waveguide to grounded coplanar waveguide transition," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 5, 533-540, 2012.
9. Flammia, I., A. Stohr, C. C. Leonhardt, J. Honecker, and A. G. Steffan, "71-76 GHz grounded CPW to WR-12 transition for quasi-hermetic RoF wireless transmitter," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 9, 506-508, 2012.