A new metamaterial-inspired polarization reconfigurable microstrip antenna is presented in this paper, in which a square slot is etched on the ground plane and two PIN diodes are mounted across the slot for polarization reconfigurability. A complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) can be formed by integrating the square slot with two diodes. By controlling the working states of two diodes, we can change the gap position of CSRR which will alter the polarization of the microstrip antenna. Therefore, the polarization of the microstrip antenna can be switched among linear polarization (LP), left-hand circular polarization (LHCP) and right-hand circular polarization (RHCP), respectively. The planar electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure is further introduced to extend the bandwidth of the 3dB axial ratio. In addition, the proposed metamaterial-inspired antenna with agile polarization reconfiguration can be feasibly controlled by using a simple biasing circuit. The simulations and experiments are given to verify the effectiveness and correctness of the proposed reconfigurable antenna design.
2. Chang, T.-N., J.-M. Lin, and Y. G. Chen, "A circularly polarized ring-antenna fed by a serially coupled square slot-ring," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1132-1135, 2012.
3. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, MA, 1980.
4. Fu, Y. Q., Q. R. Zheng, Q. Gao, and G. H. Zhang, "Mutual coupling reduction between large antenna arrays using electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 6, 819-825, 2006.
5. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-785, 2012.
6. Zhang, H., Y.-Q. Li, X. Chen, Y.-Q. Fu, and N.-C. Yuan, "Design of circular/dual-frequency linear polarization antennas based on the anisotropic complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 3352-3355, 2009.
7. Pflaum, S., P. L. Thuc, G. Kossiavas, and R. Staraj, "Performance enhancement of a circularly polarized patch antenna for radio frequency identi¯cation readers using an electromagnetic band-gap ground plane," Microwave Optical Technology Letter, Vol. 55, 1599-1602, 2013.
8. Li, B., J. Hong, and B. Wang, "Switched band-notched UWB/dual-band WLAN slot antenna with inverted S-shaped slots," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 11, 572-575, 2012.
9. Abutarboush, H. F., R. Nilavalan, S. W. Cheung, K. M. Nasr, T. Peter, D. Budimir, and H. Al-Raweshidy, "A reconfigurable wideband and multiband antenna using dual-patch elements for compact wireless devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 36-43, 2012.
10. Yoon, W.-S., J.-W. Baik, H.-S. Lee, S. Pyo, S.-M. Han, and Y.-S. Kim, "A reconfigurable circularly polarized microstrip antenna with a slotted ground plane," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter,, Vol. 9, 1161-1164, 2010.
11. Yang, X.-X., B.-C. Shao, F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and B. Gong, "A polarization reconfigurable patch antenna with loop slots on the ground plane," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 11, 69-72, 2012.
12. High Frequency Structure Simulator, Ansys Corporation, .