This paper presents a dual-mode stub loaded ring resonator (SLRR) to design a tunable dual-band bandpass filter (BPF) with two independently controllable passbands. The proposed resonator principally comprises a stepped-impedance ring resonator (SIRR) loaded with three stubs and two varactor diodes. Two independently tunable passbands are implemented by employing two varactors to control the dominant even-mode resonant frequency and odd-mode resonant frequency, respectively. Moreover, a new stub loaded double-ring resonator (SLDRR) is proposed to design the second tunable dual-band filter by shorting two stubs of the SLRR. With the same tuning method, the second filter can achieve two independently controllable passbands. In order to suppress the harmonics, defected ground structures (DGSs) are introduced at input and output feeding lines without degrading the passbands characteristics. The simulated and measured results are found in good agreement with each other.
2. Chaudhary, G., Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Harmonic suppressed dual-band bandpass filters with tunable passbands," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 7, 2115-2123, Jul. 2012.
3. Djoumessi, E. E., M. Chaker, and K. Wu, "Varactor-tuned quarter-wavelength dual-bandpass filter," IET Microw. Antennas & Propag., Vol. 3, No. 1, 117-124, Feb. 2009.
4. Kuo, J. T. and H. P. Lin, "Dual-band bandpass filter with improved performances in extended upper rejection band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 4, 824-829, Apr. 2009.
5. Boutejdar, A., A. Batmanov, A. Elsherbini, E. P. Burte, and A. S. Omar, "A new compact tunable bandpass filter using defected ground structure with active devices," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
6. Wang, X. H., L. Zhang, Y. F. Bai, Y. Xu, H. Xu, and X. W. Shi, "Compact tunable dual-band filter using SIRs without extra blocking capacitances," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 5, 544-551, 2013.
7. Boutejdar, A., A. Elsherbini, and A. Omar, "Design of a novel ultra-wide stopband lowpass filters using H-defected ground structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 3, 771-775, 2008.
8. Park, J. S., J. S. Yun, and C. S. Park, "DGS resonator with interdigital capacitor and application to bandpass fiter design," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 7, 433-434, 2004.
9. Lim, J. S., C. S. Kim, Y. T. Lee, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "Design of lowpass filters using defected ground structure and compensated microstrip line," Electron. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 22, 1357-1358, 2002.