A coax-feed low profile dual-polarized circular patch antenna with ±45˚ polarization is presented. The antenna consists of a dual-polarized circular patch excited by two coax-lines and an AMC reflector. By using the AMC reflector as the ground plane of the patch antenna, the profile of the antenna is reduced to λ/8 of the operation frequency, which is much lower than that of the conventional dual-polarized patch antenna. The experimental results show that the proposed design obtains a wide bandwidth (2.12-2.77 GHz) and a high isolation (>35 dB) over the entire band. In addition, the front-back radio of the antenna is improved significantly by using the AMC reflector. The wide bandwidth, low-profile and high front-to-back ratio make the antenna a good candidate as a base station antenna for WLAN, WiMAX and LTE applications.
2. Gao, S. C., L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "Dual-polarized slot-coupled planar antenna with wide bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 441-448, 2003.
3. Chieh, J.-C. S., B. Pham, A.-V. Pham, G. Kannell, and A. Pidwerbetsky, "Millimeter-wave dual-polarized high-isolation antennas and arrays on organic substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 12, 5948-5957, 2013.
4. Zhang, K., F. Zhu, and S. Gao, "Differential-fed ultra-wideband slot-loaded patch antenna with dual orthogonal polarisation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 25, 1591-1593, 2013.
5. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, T.W. C. Brown, J. Li, G. Wei, and J. Xu, "Ultra-wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with four capacitively coupled feeds," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2440-2449, 2014.
6. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, C. Deng, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "2-D planar scalable dual-polarized seriesfed slot antenna array using single substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 2280-2283, 2014.
7. Li, B., Y.-Z. Yin, W. Hu, Y. Ding, and Y. Zhao, "Wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with low cross polarization and high isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 427-430, 2012.
8. Xie, J.-J., X.-S. Ren, Y.-Z. Yin, and J. Ren, "Dual-polarized patch antenna with wide bandwidth using electromagnetic feeds," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 22, 1385-1386, 2012.
9. Xie, J. J., Y. Z. Yin, and J. Ren, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop feeds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 499-515, 2012.
10. Li, B., W. Hu, J. Ren, and Y.-Z. Yin, "Low-profile dual-polarized patch antenna with HIS reflector for base station application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 8, 956-962, 2014.
11. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the application of artificial magnetic conductors to bandwidth broadening, gain enhancement and beam shaping of low profile and conventional monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 4-20, 2011.
12. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characteristics of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, 2003.
13. Nakano, H., K. Hitosugi, N. Tatsuzawa, D. Togashi, H. Mimaki, and J. Yamauchi, "Effects on the radiation characteristics of using a corrugated reflector with a helical antenna and an electromagnetic band-gap reflector with a spiral antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 191-199, 2005.
14. Agarwal, K., Nasimuddin, and A. Alphones, "Wideband circularly polarized AMC reflector backed aperture antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1456-1461, 2013.
15. Feresidis, A. P., G. Goussetis, S. Wang, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Artificial magnetic conductor surfaces and their application to low-profile high-gain planar antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 209-215, 2005.
16. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, and H.-S. Tae, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006.
17. Goussetis, G., A. Feresidis, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Tailoring the AMC and EBG characteristics of periodic metallic arrays printed on grounded dielectric substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 82-89, 2006.
18. Joubert, J., J. C. Vardaxoglou, W. G. Whittow, and J. W. Odendaal, "CPW-fed cavity-backed slot radiator loaded with an AMC reflector," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 735-742, 2012.