This paper presents a compact tunable bandpass filter that is based on open split ring resonator to achieve high out-of-band rejection. Exact equations and design procedures are given based on strict theoretical analysis. By loading the varactor diodes, the center frequency and bandwidth of the bandpass filter could realize reconfigurable. Then defected ground structure was adopted in the input and output ports for the sake of high out-of-band rejection. In order to verify the result of theoretical analysis, a compact tunable bandpass filter with defected ground structure, whose range of frequency was 1.61 GHz~1.82 GHz and range of relative bandwidth was 8.3%~24.8%, had been simulated and fabricated. Good agreement between the measured data and the anticipated results is achieved.
2. Al-Naib, I. A. I., C. Jansen, and M. Koch, "Single metal layer CPW metamaterial band pass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 153-161, 2010.
3. Ibraheem, I. A. and M. Koch, "Coplanar waveguide metamaterials: The role of bandwidth modifying slots," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 91, 113517-113517-3, 2007.
4. Baena, J. D., et al., "Equivalentcircuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 1451-1461, 2005.
5. Martel, J., R. Marques, J. D. Baena, F. Martın, and M. Sorolla, "A new LC series element for compact bandpass filter design," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 5, May 2004.
6. Marques, R., J. Martel, F. Mesa, and F. Medina, "Left-handed-media simulation and transmission of EM waves in subwavelength split-ring-resonator-loaded metallic waveguides," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 89, 183901-1, October 28, 2002.
7. Marques, R., F. Mesa, J. Martel, and F. Medina, "Comparative analysis of edge- and broadsidecoupled split ring resonators for metamaterial design — Theory and experiments," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2572-2581, 2003.
8. De Dios Ruiz, J. and J. Hinojosa, "Double-sided open split ring resonator for compact microstrip band-pass filter design," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, 846-853, 2012.
9. Shaozhen, Z., D. G. Holtby, K. L. Ford, A. Tennant, and R. J. Langley, "Compact low frequency varactor loaded tunable SRR antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 2301-2304, 2013.
10. Bouyge, D., et al., "Split ring resonators (SRRs) based on micro-electro-mechanical deflectable cantilever-type rings: Application to tunable stopband filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, 243-245, 2011.
11. Vasic, B., M. M. Jakovljevic, G. Isic, and R. Gajic, "Tunable metamaterials based on split ring resonators and doped graphene," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 103, 011102-011102-4, 2013.
12. Dal, A., P. Jun-Seok, K. Chul-Soo, K. Juno, Q. Yongxi, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, 86-93, 2001.
13. Jong-Sik, L., K. Chul-Soo, A. Dal, Y.-C. Jeong, and N. Sangwook, "Design of low-pass filters using defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 2539-2545, 2005.
14. Jun-Seok, P., Y. Jun-Sik, and A. Dal, "A design of the novel coupled-line bandpass filter using defected ground structure with wide stopband performance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, 2037-2043, 2002.
15. Safwat, A. M. E., F. Podevin, P. Ferrari, and A. Vilcot, "Tunable bandstop defected ground structure resonator using reconfigurable dumbbell-shaped coplanar waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, 3559-3564, 2006.
16. Wolff, I., "Microstrip bandpass filter using degenerate modes of a microstrip ring resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 8, 302-303, 1972.
17. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Couplings of microstrip square open-loop resonators for crosscoupled planar microwave filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 44, 2099-2109, 1996.
18. Zhu, Y., R.W. Mao, and C. S. Tsai, "A varactor and FMR-tuned wideband band-pass filter module with versatile frequency tunability," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, 284-288, 2011.