This paper provides a modified formula for calculating dielectric loss of dielectric resonator of working in TE01δ mode in closed cavity. The measurement system is divided into six regions with all electromagnetic field distributions given in each region. Based on analyzing the formula of loss tangent published in literatures, a quality factor of a substrate is created, and a modified formula is proposed. Validating the modified formula, with three substrates as supports, the frequencies and unloaded quality factors of dielectric resonators made of two sorts of dielectric materials with permittivity 38 and 75 respectively are measured using a closed cavity method. The measured results are compared with those obtained by other well-known formulas and show a good agreement with the result given by the parallel plate method.
2. Sebastian, M. T., Dielectric Materials for Wireless Communications, Elsevier Ltd, USA, 2008.
3. Kajfezz, D. and P. Guillon, Dielectric Resonators, Noble Publishing Corporation, Tucker, Georgia, USA, 1998.
4. Sheen, J., "Comparisons of microwave dielectric property measurements by transmission/reflection techniques and resonance techniques," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 20, 1-12, 2009.
5. Krupka, J., "Precise measurements of the complex permittivity of dielectric materials at microwave frequencies," Materials Chemistry and Physics, Vol. 79, 195-198, 2003.
6. Hakki, B. W. and P. D. Coleman, "A dielectric resonator method of measuring inductive capacities in the millimeter range," IRE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 8, No. 7, 402-410, 1960.
7. Courtney, W. E., "Analysis and evaluation of a method of measuring complex permittivity and permeability of microwave materials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 18, 476-485, 1970.
8. Krupka, J., "Frequency domain complex permittivity measurements at microwave frequencies," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 16, R1-R16, 2005.
9. Krupka, J., K. Derzakowski, B. Riddle, and J. B. Jarvis, "A dielectric resonator for measurements of complex permittivity of low loss materials as a function of temperature," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 9, 1751-1756, 1998.
10. Cros, D. and P. Guillon, "Whispering gallery dielectric resonator modes for W-band devices," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, 1667-1674, 1990.
11. Krupka, J., D. Cros, M. Aubourg, and P. Guillon, "Study of whispering gallery modes in anisotropic single crystal dielectric resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, 56-61, 1994.
12. Krupka, J., K. Derzakowski, A. Abramowicz, M. E. Tobar, and R. G. Geyer, "Whispering gallery modes for complex permittivity measurements of ultra low loss dielectric materials," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 752-759, 1999.
13. Prakash, A., J. K. Vaid, and A. Mansingh, "Measurement of dielectric parameters at microwave frequencies by cavity perturbation technique," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 27, 791-795, 1979.
14. Kobsyashi, Y. and M. Katon, "Microwave measurement of dielectric properties of low-loss materials by the dielectric rod resonator method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 33, No. 7, 586-592, 1985.
15. Cao, L. and D. Cao, "Fast measurement of complex permittivity of microwave dielectric materials using parallel short-circuit plate method," Journal of Ceramics, Vol. 33, No. 3, 80-84, 2012, in Chinese.
16. Bonetti, R. and A. Atia, "Design of cylindrical dielectric resonators in inhomogeneous media," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 29, No. 4, 323-326, 1981.
17. Itoh, T. and R. Rudokas, "New method for computing the resonant frequency of dielectric resonator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 25, 52-54, 1977.
18. Maystre, D., P. Vincent, and J. C. Mage, "Theoretical and experimental study of the resonant frequency of a cylindrical dielectric resonator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 31, 844-848, 1983.
19. Zaki, K. A. and A. Atia, "Modes in dielectric-loaded waveguides and resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 31, 1039-1045, 1983.
20. Sheen, J., "Microwave measurements of dielectric properties using a closed cylindrical cavity dielectric resonator," IEEE DEI, Vol. 14, No. 15, 1139-1144, 2007.
21. Sheen, J., et al., "Microwave measurements of dielectric properties — A further study to a new theoretical model for a closed cylindrical cavity dielectric resonator," IEEE DEI, Vol. 14, No. 12, 3874-3877, 2007.
22. Cao, L. and D. Cao, "Study of parameter Dielectric measurement of microwave dielectric materials by the closed cavity method," Electronic Components and Materials, Vol. 30, No. 12, 9-12, 2011, in Chinese.
23. Zhou, D., et al., "Microwave measurement of dielectric properties of ceramics by the closed cavity resonator method," J. Huazhong University of Sci. & Tech. (Nature Science Edition), Vol. 32, No. 8, 50-53, 2004, in Chinese.
24. Ni, E., Measurement of Microwave Dielectric Resonator, People’s Posts and Telecommunications Press, Beijing, China, 2006.
25. Gu, J., Dielectric Resonator Microwave Circuit, People’s Posts and Telecommunications Press, Beijing, China, 1986.