In this paper, a compact asymmetric coplanar strip (ACS)-fed printed monopole antenna for tri-band WLAN/WiMAX applications is presented. The proposed antenna is composed of a simple monopole with the high resonant mode at 5.8 GHz, an open-ended slot embedded on the ground plane with the low resonant mode at 2.4 GHz, and a meander trip shorted to the ground with the middle resonant mode at 3.5 GHz. The three resonance frequencies of the antenna can be controlled by adjusting the geometries and the sizes of the monopole, the slot and the strip. The antenna occupies a very compact size of 22×12 mm2 including the ground plane, has nearly omnidirectional radiation characteristics and reasonable gain in the operating bands. The simple feeding structure, compactness and uniplanar design make it easy to be integrated within the portable device for wireless communication.
2. Song, K., Y.-Z. Yin, and B. Chen, "Triple-band open L-slot antenna with a slit and a strip for WLAN/WIMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 139-146, 2011.
3. Liu, W.-C., C.-M. Wu, and D. Yang, "Design of triple-frequency microstrip-fed monopole antenna using defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, 2457-2463, 2011.
4. Huang, K.-Y. and T. Chiu, "Triband inverted-F antenna with stacked branched monopoles and a parasitic strip," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1208-1211, 2011.
5. Wu, Y.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Triple-band omni-directional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 76, 477-484, 2007.
6. Wang, C.-J. and K.-L. Hsiao, "CPW-fed monopole antenna for multiple system integration," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 1007-1011, 2014.
7. Sun, X., G. Zeng, H.-C. Yang, and Y. Li, "A compact quad-band CPW-fed slot antenna for MWiMAX/," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 395-398, 2012.
8. Liu, P.-G., Y.-L. Zou, B.-R. Xie, X.-L. Liu, and B.-H. Sun, "Compact CPW-fed tri-band printed antenna with meandering split-ring slot for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1242-1245, 2012.
9. Deepu, V., R.-K. Raj, M. Joseph, M.-N. Suma, and P. Mohanan, "Compact asymmetric coplanar strip fed monopole antenna for multiband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 2351-2357, 2007.
10. Li, Y.-S., W.-X. Li, and Q.-B. Ye, "A compact asymmetric coplanar strip-fed dual-band antenna for 2.4/5.8GHz WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 2066-2070, 2013.
11. Liu, Y.-F., H. Qin, and L. Chen, "Compact triband ACS-fed monopole antenna employing openended slots forWLAN/WIMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 9, 1109-1117, 2014.
12. Chen, L., Y.-F. Liu, and X.-L. Ma, "Compact ACS-fed circular-arc-shaped stepped monopole antenna for tri-band WLAN/WIMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 51, 131-137, 2014.