In this article, a compact dual-band bandpass filter (BPF) using coupled open-loop resonators and an embedded center-grounded stepped-impedance resonator (CGSIR) is proposed. This filter operates at 2.1/5.2 GHz for WCDMA/WLAN applications. The first passband is generated by the proposed CGSIR, and the second one is created by the coupled open-loop resonators. Each passband can be controlled independently by adjusting the dimension parameters of corresponding resonators. Five transmission zeros (TZs) are generated due to the 0° feed structure and signal cancellation effects between electric couplings and magnetic couplings, which improve the filter band-to-band isolation level and skirt selectivity significantly. Moreover, the overall circuit size is very compact due to the embedded configuration. The measured filter performances are in good agreement with the simulated ones.
2. Wei, X. B., Y. Shi, P. Wang, J. X. Liao, Z. Q. Xu, and B. C. Yang, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter with improved stopband characteristics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 12, 704-705, 2012.
3. Mohan, A. and A. Biswas, "Dualband bandpass filter using defected ground structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 2, 475-479, Feb. 2009.
4. Zhang, Z., et al., "Design of a compact dual-band bandpass filter using opposite hook-shaped resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 7, 359-361, Jul. 2011.
5. Chang, Y. C., et al., "Design of the compact dual-band bandpass filter with high isolation for GPS/WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 780-782, Dec. 2009.
6. Li, J., S. S. Huang, and J. Z. Zhao, "Design of a compact and high selectivity tri-band bandpass filter using asymmetric stepped-impedance resonators (SIRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 44, 81-86, 2014.
7. Luo, S. and L. Zhu, "A novel dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter based on a single ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 8, 497-499, Aug. 2009.
8. Wang, J., et al., "High-selectivity dual-band stepped-impedance bandpass filter," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 9, 538-540, Sep. 2006.
9. Kuo, J. T., T. H. Yeh, and C. C. Yeh, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1331-1337, Apr. 2005.
10. Guo, L., Z.-Y. Yu, and L. Zhang, "Design of a dual-mode dual-band filter using stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 147-154, 2010.
11. Xu, J. and W. Wu, "Miniaturised dual-wideband bandpass filter using novel dual-band coupled-line sections," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 18, 1162-1163, Aug. 2013.
12. Chen, F.-C. and J. M. Qiu, "Third-order dual-band bandpass filter with controllable bandwidths using short stub-loaded resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 32, 101-108, 2012.
13. Gao, L., J. Xiang, and Q. Xue, "Novel compact tri-band bandpass filter using multi-stub-loaded resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 139-145, 2014.