In this article, a novel compact triple-band monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications is proposed. The proposed antenna is designed on an FR-4 substrate with thickness of 0.8 mm, relative permittivity of 4.4, and loss tangent of 0.02. It consists of a square ring, an open ended stub, and an inverted T-shaped stub. Three bands covering 2.3-2.76, 3.387-3.73, and 4.97-6.28 GHz are achieved, which cover all the 2.5/3.5/5.5 GHz WiMAX and 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN operation bands. Moreover, the presented antenna has a compact size of 24 × 36 mm2. Experimental results show that the proposed antenna gives good gains and has nearly omnidirectional radiation patterns across all the operation bands.
2. Ressiguier, D., J. Costantine, Y. Tawk, and C.-G. Christodoulou, "A reconfigurable multi-band microstrip antenna based on open ended microstrip lines," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2009, 792-795, 2009.
3. Cai, L.-Y., G. Zeng, H.-C. Yang, and Y.-Z. Cai, "Integrated bluetooth and multi-band ultra-wideband antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 12, 688-689, 2011.
4. Liu, P., Y. Zou, B. Xie, X. Liu, and B. Sun, "Compact CPW-fed tri-band printed antenna with meandering split-ring slot for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1242-1244, 2012.
5. Lizzi, L., F. Viani, and A. Massa, "Dual-band spline-shaped PCB antenna for Wi-Fi applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 616-619, 2009.
6. Huang, S. S., J. Li, and J. Z. Zhao, "Compact CPW-fed tri-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 49, 39-45, 2014.
7. Huang, S. S., J. Li, and J. Z. Zhao, "Miniaturized CPW-fed triband antenna with asymmetric ring forWLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Computer Networks and Communications, Vol. 2014, Article ID 419642, 8 Pages, 2014.
8. Ojaroudi, N. and N. Ghadimi, "Dual-band CPW-fed slot antenna for LTE andWiBro applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1013-1015, May 2014.
9. Zhao, Q., S.-X. Gong, W. Jiang, B. Yang, and J. Xie, "Compact wide-slot tri-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 9-18, 2010.
10. Samsuzzaman, M., et al., "Compact modified swastika shape patch antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, Article ID 825697, 8 Pages, 2014.
11. Wang, P., et al., "Compact CPW-fed planar monopole antenna with distinct triple bands for WiFi/WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 7, 357-359, 2012.
12. Xu, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, and Y.-C. Luan, "Compact CPW-fed printed mono-pole antenna with tripleband characteristics for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 24, 1519-1520, 2012.
13. Koo, T. W., et al., "A coupled dual-U-shaped monopole antenna for WiMAX triple-band operation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 4, 745-748, Apr. 2011.
14. Huang, S. S., J. Li, and J. Z. Zhao, "Design of a compact triple-band monopole planar antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 48, 29-35, 2014.
15. Li, J., S. S. Huang, and J. Z. Zhao, "A compact CPW-fed tri-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Open Science Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 4, 21-25, 2014.
16. Thwin, S. S., "Compact asymmetric inverted cone ring monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 36, 57-65, 2013.