A low-profile broadband dual-polarized antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization is presented in this letter. The proposed antenna employs two different feeding mechanisms. On one hand, two out-of-phase probes loaded with two small circular patches make the proposed antenna operate in horizontal mode. On the other hand, two pins connecting two eyebrow-shaped patches and the ground form a magnetic loop which enables the proposed antenna to achieve vertical polarization. By elaborately adjusting the feeding structures, measurements demonstrate that the proposed antenna not only achieves 10-dB return loss bandwidths of 49% (1.7-2.8 GHz) and 28% (2-2.65 GHz) for Port 1 and Port 2, respectively, but also maintains a high isolation better than 32 dB over the entire common frequency band. Meanwhile, within the main lobes, the cross polarization levels, both in E-plane and in H-plane, stay lower than -25 dB for Port 1 and -20 dB for Port 2. In addition, the proposed antenna with a profile of 0.13 achieves the maximum gains of 8.4 dBi for horizontal polarization and 8.2 dBi for vertical polarization.
2. Landon, D. and C. Furse, "Recovering handset diversity and MIMO capacity with polarization-agile antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3333-3340, 2007.
3. Konanur, A., K. Gosalia, S. Krishnamurthy, B. Hughes, and G. Lazzi, "Increasing wireless channel capacity through MIMO systems employing co-located antennas," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1837-1844, 2005.
4. Gao, S. C., L. W. Li, P. Gardner, and P. S. Hall, "Wideband dual-polarised microstrip patch antenna," Electronics Lett., Vol. 37, No. 20, 1213-1214, 2001.
5. Gao, S.-C., L.-W. Li, M.-S. Leong, and T.-S. Yeo, "Dual-polarized slot-coupled planar antenna with wide bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 3, 441-448, 2003.
6. Gao, S., L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A broad-band dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with aperture coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 4, 898-900, 2003.
7. Chiou, T.-W. and K.-L. Wong, "Broad-band dual-polarized single microstrip patch antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 3, 399-401, 2002.
8. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, W. Chen, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "A dual-polarization slot antenna using a compact CPW feeding structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 191-194, 2010.
9. Huang, J., "A technique for an array to generate circular polarization with linearly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, 1113-1124, 1986.
10. Chiba, T., Y. Suzuki, and N. Miyano, "Suppression of higher modes and cross polarized component for microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas Propagation Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., 285-288, 1982.
11. Wu, C.-J., I.-F. Chen, and C.-M. Peng, "A dual polarization bow-tie slot antenna for broadband communications," PIERS Proceedings, 217-221, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
12. Xie, J.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Ren, and T. Wang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop feeds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 499-515, 2012.
13. Guo, Y. X., K. W. Khoo, and L. C. Ong, "Wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with broadband baluns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 1, 78-83, 2007.
14. Paryani, R. C., P. F. Wahid, and N. Behdad, "A wideband, dual-polarized, substrate-integrated cavity-backed slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 645-648, 2010.
15. Xie, J.-J., X.-S. Ren, Y.-Z. Yin, and J. Ren, "Dual-polarised patch antenna with wide bandwidth using electromagnetic feeds," Electronics Lett., Vol. 48, No. 22, 1385-1386, 2012.
16. Siu, L., H.Wong, and K.M. Luk, "A dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole with dielectric loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 616-623, 2009.
17. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Broadband dual polarization patch element for cellar-phone base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 2, 251-253, 2002.