The objective of this paper is to propose an improved approach based on a novel non-intrusive method for easily assessing the high frequency CW EM radiated susceptibility of an electronic system by characterizing its nonlinear electromagnetic effects. For this purpose, we have developed a specific harmonic frequency detection system coupled with a mode stirrer reverberating chamber. We describe the principles of the method and study a generic device board which is representative of a real electronic system. We evaluate the EM susceptibility of a micro controller in full functional mode and the data exchanges with two types of external 8 Mb SRAM memories. We observe the EM radiated susceptibility of this device by a functional EMC analysis method; then we measure the harmonic frequency content and make a correlation with the EM susceptibility results. We obtain significant differences between the two memory devices, as a consequence of their different managements of internal voltage over stress. We are well aware that this method is currently not validated in industrial environments EMC. In this paper, we only want to show that the appearance of the highest harmonic level occurs only when DUT has the highest functional failure.
2., "Testing and measurement techniques, reverberation chamber test methods,", International Standard IEC 61000-4-21, 2011.
3. Chen, J., A. C. Marvin, I. D. Flintoft, and J. F. Dawson, "A statistical approach to radiated immunity testing of digital hardware in a reverberation chamber," EMC Europe 2010, Department of Electronics University of York, Heslington, York, UK, YO10 5DD, 2010.
4. Marvin, A. C., J. Chen, I. D. Flintoft, and J. F. Dawson, "A describing function method for evaluating the statistics of harmonics scattered from a non-linear device in a reverberation chamber," 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 165-170, Austin, Aug. 17-21, 2009.
5. Gretsch, W. R., "The spectrum of intermodulation generated in a semiconductor diode junction," IEEE, Vol. 54, Nov. 1966.
6. Guibert, L. and J. P. Parmantier, "EMC study of an embedded electronic system placed in a hostile electromagnetic environment," EMC Compo’09, 78, Nov. 17-19, 2009.
7. Guibert, L., P. Millot, X. Ferrieres, and E. Sicard, "Study of radiated immunity of an electronic system in a reverberating chamber," 2013 9th International Workshop Electromagnet Compatibility of Integrated Circuits (EMC Compo), 2013.
8. Psychoudakis, D., W. Moulder, C.-C. Chen, H. Zhu, and J. L. Volakis, "A portable low-power harmonic radar system and conformal tag for insect tracking," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 444-447, 2008.