A dual-polarized L-probe fed microstrip patch antenna with high isolation and low cross-polarization levels is proposed. The proposed antenna has been designed and analyzed by using commercially available software --- High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) based on the finite element method algorithm and a simple resonant equation and Computer Simulation Technology Microwave Studio (CST MWS) based on the finite-difference-time-domain algorithm. A prototype antenna is built and tested. The return loss has been compared between measured and simulated data under the criterion of VSWR less than 2 through out the designed 4.95 to 5.05 GHz frequency range. The measured isolation between two ports is higher than 22 dB and the gain is larger than 3 dBi. The cross-polarization levels in both E and H planes are better than -21 dB, along with fair regular radiation patterns.
2. Chen, Y. and Y. Chen, "A fully packaged true time delay module for a k-band phased array antenna system demonstration," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 14, No. 8, 1175-1177, 2002.
3. Sun, D., W. Dou, and L. You, "Application of novel cavity-backed proximity-coupled microstrip patch antenna to design broadband conformal phased array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1010-1013, 2010.
4. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, J. Zheng, and Z. Feng, "Design of dual-polarized monopole-slot antenna with small volume and high isolation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2511-2514, 2012.
5. Erceg, V., H. Sampath, and S. Catreux-Erceg, "Dual-polarization versus single-polarization MIMO channel measurement results and modeling," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 5, No. 1, 28-33, 2006.
6. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, 1992.
7. Qing, X., et al., "Compact asymmetric-slit microstrip antennas for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 285-288, 2011.
8. Luk, K., C. Mak, Y. Chow, and K. Lee, "Broadband microstrip patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 15, 1442-1443, 1998.
9. Lau, K.-L. and K.-M. Luk, "A wide-band circularly polarized l-probe coupled patch antenna for dual-band operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2636-2644, 2005.
10. Lau, K., K. Luk, and D. Lin, "A wide-band dual-polarization patch antenna with directional coupler," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, No. 1, 186-189, 2002.
11. See, T. S. P. and Z. N. Chen, "Design of dual-polarization stacked arrays for ISM band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 2, 142-147, 2003.