This letter presents a compact triple-band passband filter with high frequency selectivity. The first and second passbands are formed by a multi-stub loaded resonator. The width of the second passband can be independently adjusted by tuning the coupling strength between the two loaded open stubs. The third passband is implemented using two asymmetrical stepped impedance resonators (SIRs) with a tapped line structure as external coupling form. The asymmetrical SIRs also serve as one part of the external coupling structure of the multi-stub resonator so as to achieve a compact circuit size. Additionally, a source-load coupling is introduced, thus, multiple transmission zeros are generated to improve the frequency selectivity. After a detailed introduction of the operation principle, a triple-band passband filter with centre passband frequencies of 1.5, 2.6 and 3.6 GHz is designed and fabricated. The measured results verify the effectiveness of the proposed filter.
2. Chu, Q.-X. and X.-M. Lin, "Advanced triple-band bandpass filter using tri-section sir," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 4, 295-296, 2008.
3. Hsu, C.-I., C.-H. Lee, and Y.-H. Hsieh, "Tri-band bandpass filter with sharp passband skirts designed using tri-section sirs," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 1, 19-21, 2008.
4. Chu, Q.-X., F.-C. Chen, Z.-H. Tu, and H. Wang, "A novel crossed resonator and its applications to bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1753-1759, 2009.
5. Chen, F.-C., Q.-X. Chu, and Z.-H. Tu, "Tri-band bandpass filter using stub loaded resonators," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 12, 747-749, 2008.
6. Zhang, X. Y., C. H. Chan, Q. Xue, and B.-J. Hu, "Dual-band bandpass filter with controllable bandwidths using two coupling paths," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 11, 616-618, 2010.
7. Gao, L., X. Y. Zhang, B. J. Hu, and Q. Xue, "Novel multi-stub loaded resonators and their applications to various bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 62, No. 5, 1162-1172, 2014.
8. Huang, T.-H., H.-J. Chen, C.-S. Chang, L.-S. Chen, Y.-H. Wang, and M.-P. Houng, "A novel compact ring dual-mode filter with adjustable second-passband for dual-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 6, 360-362, 2006.
9. Djoumessi, E. E. and K. Wu, "Multilayer dual-mode dual-bandpass filter," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett. I, Vol. 19, No. 1, 21-23, 2009.
10. Luo, S. and L. Zhu, "A novel dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter based on a single ring resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 8, 497-499, 2009.
11. Wang, Y. X., B.-Z. Wang, and J. P. Wang, "A compact square loop dual-mode bandpass filter with wide stop-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 67-73, 2007.
12. Zhao, L.-P., X.-W. Dai, Z.-X. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter with triangular resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 417-424, 2007.
13. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008.
14. Luo, S., L. Zhu, and S. Sun, "A dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using a single slot ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 173-180, 2011.
15. Chen, F., Q. Chu, Z. Li, and X. Wu, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter with controllable bandwidths using stub-loaded multiple-mode resonator," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 10, 1172-1178, 2012.
16. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filter for RF/Microswave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2001.