We propose a hybrid multimodal variational method (MVM) and finite element method (FEM) to the analysis of complex 2D discontinuities in circular waveguides. The finite element method characterizes waves in arbitrarily shaped discontinuities, and the total response of the circuit is obtained by applying the multimodal variational method. The proposed hybrid method is successfully applied to the full-wave analysis of discontinuities with great practical interest (i.e., circular, crossshaped, off-centered, ridged, multi-aperture irises, etc.), thus improving CPU time and memory storage against several full-wave finite element method based computer aided design (CAD) tools (i.e. HFSS High Frequency Structural Simulator).
2. Shih, Y. C., T. Itoh, and L. Q. Bui, "Computer-aided design of millimeter-wave E-plane filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 31, No. 9, 135-142, Feb. 1983.
3. Tao, J. W. and H. Baudrand, "Multimodal variational analysis of uniaxial waveguide discontinuities," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, No. 3, 506-516, Mar. 1991.
4. Ferdinando, A., B. Giancarlo, and S. Roberto, "Admittance matrix formulation of waveguide discontinuity problems: computer-aided design of branch guide directional couplers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 36, No. 2, 394-403, Feb. 1988.
5. Jin, J., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.
6. Conciauro, G., M. Guglielmi, and R. Sorrentino, Advanced Modal Analysis --- CAD Techniques for Waveguides Components and Filters, Wiley, Chichester, 2000.
7. Arndt, F., et al., "Automated design of waveguide components using hybrid mode-matching/numerical EM building-blocks in optimization-oriented CAD frameworks --- state-of-the-art and recent advances," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 5, 747-760, May 1997.
8. Arndt, F., et al., "Fast CAD and optimization of waveguide components and aperture antennas by hybrid MM/FE/MoM/FD methods-state-of-the-art and recent advances," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 1, 292-305, Jan. 2004.
9. Yahia, M., J. W. Tao, H. Benzina, and M. N. Abdelkrim, "Analysis of complex rectangular waveguide discontinuities using hybrid MVM-FEM," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 111-114, Dec. 2009.
10. Yahia, M., J. W. Tao, H. Benzina, and M. N. Abdelkrim, "Complex 2D discontinuities analysis using hybrid finite element method and a modified multimodal variational formulation-application to filter design," European Microwave Conference, 1301-1304, Sep. 26-Oct. 1, 2010.
11. Yahia, M., J. W. Tao, and H. Sakli, "Complex rectangular filter design using hybrid finite element method and modified multimodal variational formulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 44, 55-66, 2013.
12. Hu, H. and K. L. Wu, "A deterministic EM design technique for general waveguide dual-mode bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 2, 800-807, Feb. 2013.
13. Don, N. G., A. A. Kyrylenko, and L. P. Mospan, "A multi-aperture iris in a circular waveguide as a tool for the frequency response control," European Microwave Conference, 995-998, Sep. 2006.
14. Orfanidis, A. P., G. A. Kyriacou, T. Samaras, and J. N. Sahalos, "Mode matching analysis of multiple offset coaxial irises in circular waveguide," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 2, Jan. 2004.
15. Wu, A. K. L. and R. H. MacPhie, "A rigorous analysis of a cross waveguide to large circular waveguide junction and its application in waveguide filter design," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 1, 153-157, Jan. 1997.