In this paper, a multiband flexible antenna is presented. This antenna was realized on a flexible substrate in order to realize a deployable system for a distress beacon. We used the concept of open-sleeve antenna to change a quadrupole mode into a dipole mode. The main radiating element of the antenna is a dual-band folded U-shaped antenna. The operating frequencies of this antenna are studied depending on the length of the parasitic elements. In order to understand the matching and the radiation patterns in far field of both antennas (U-shaped and open-sleeve), their magnetic behaviors in near field are studied in simulation and in measurement. The simulated and measured radiation patterns are also presented to check the study in near field.
2. Paul, D. L., L. Zhang, and L. Zheng, "Flexible dual-band LCP antenna for RFID applications," Proc. IEEE EMTS, 973-976, Hiroshima, Japan, May 2013.
3. Salam, A., A. Khan, and M. S. Hussain, "Dual band microstrip antenna for wearable applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 4, 916-918, Apr. 2014.
4. Wang, Z., L. Z. Lee, D. Psychoudakis, and J. Volakis, "Embroidered multiband body-worn antenna for GSM/PCS/WLAN communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 6, 3321-3329, Jun. 2014.
5. Khaleel, H. R., H. M. Al-Rizzo, and D. G. Rucker, "Compact polyimide-based antennas for flexible displays," IEEE Journal of Display Technology, Vol. 8, No. 2, 91-97, Feb. 2012.
6. Abbosh, A. I., R. F. Babiceanu, H. Al-Rizzo, S. Abushamleh, and H. R. Khaleel, "Flexible Yagi-Uda antenna for wearable electronic devices," APSURSI IEEE, 1200-1201, Orlando, FL, USA, Jul. 2013.
7. Raad, H. R., A. I. Abbosh, H. M. Al-Rizzo, and D. G. Rucker, "Flexible and compact AMC based antenna for telemedicine applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 524-531, Feb. 2013.
8. Min, K.-S., Y.-H. Park, and K.-W. Im, "Design for sonobuoy transmitting antenna for anti-submarine warfare," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Int. Symp., 1201-1204, Sendai, Japan, Aug. 2004.
9. Serra, A. A., P. Nepa, and G. Manara, "A wearable two-antenna system on a life jacket for Cospas-Sarsat personal locator beacons," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 1035-1042, Feb. 2012.
10. Lilja, J., et al., "Body-worn antennas making a splash: Lifejacket-integrated antennas for global search and rescue satellite system," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 324-341, Apr. 2013.
11. Chu, Q.-X. and L.-H. Ye, "Design of compact dual-wideband antenna with assembled monopoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 4063-4066, Dec. 2010.
12. Li, D. and J. Mao, "Sierpinskized Koch-like sided multifractal dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 207-224, 2012.
13. Durgun, A. C., C. A. Balanis, C. R. Birtcher, and D. R. Allee, "Design, simulation, fabrication and testing of flexible bow-tie antennas," Proc. IEEE Radio and Wireless Symp., 50-53, Phoenix, AZ, USA, Jan. 2011.
14. Georget, E., R. Abdeddaim, and P. Sabouroux, "Analytical, simulation and measurement studies of a dual-band open-sleeve curved meander line antenna on a flexible substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 49-57, 2014.
15. Georget, E., R. Abdeddaim, and P. Sabouroux, "AMTA corner: A new method to design a multi-band flexible textile antenna," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 240-248, Jun. 2014.
16. Nicolson, M. and G. F. Ross, "Measurement of the intrinsic properties of materials by time-domain techniques," IEEE Trans. Intrum. Meas., Vol. 19, No. 4, 377-382, Nov. 1970.
17. Georget, E., R. Abdeddaim, and P. Sabouroux, "A quasi-universal method to measure the electromagnetic characteristics of usual materials in the microwave range," Comptes Rendus --- Physique, Vol. 15, No. 5, 448-457, May 2014.
18. Jackson, J. D., "Radiating systems, multipole fields and radiation," Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd edition, 407-455, Wiley, New York, 1962.