This paper presents a wideband circular polarization antenna for Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS). By exciting four slots etched along each edge of a square ground with equal amplitude and 90° phase difference, good circular polarization performance is achieved. A novel radiation element, composed of back-side slot and front-side monopole, is proposed to realize a wideband radiation. Meanwhile, the feed network composed of Schiffman phase shifters and Wilkinson power dividers maintains this wideband performance. A backed cavity is used to suppress the backward radiation, therefore enhances the frontward gain. Measured results of the fabricated antenna show good agreement with the simulated ones. The main advantages of this antenna include its wide bandwidth, good circular polarization, high front to back ratio, low cost, and easy fabrication, which make it very attractive for GNSS terrestrial applications.
2. Wang, J. J. H. and D. J. Triplett, "High-performance universal GNSS antenna and enhancement techniques to overcome its performance limitations," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 86-90, Toronto, ON, Canada, 2011.
3. Wang, J. J. H. and D. J. Triplett, "High-performance universal GNSS antenna based on SMM antenna technology," IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation, and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, 644-647, Hangzhou, China, 2007.
4. Ning, B., J. Lei, Y. Cao, and L. Dong, "A conical quadrifilar helix antenna for GNSS applications," ISAP, Vol. 01, 543-546, 2013.
5. Strojny, B. T. and R. G. Rojas, "Bifilar helix GNSS antenna for unmanned aerial vehicle applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1164-1167, 2014.
6. Wei, T. and T. Xiong, "Minimized conical spiral antenna for GNSS," IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Communications and Computing, 1-4, KunMing, YunNan, China, 2013.
7. Vladimirov, V. M. and V. N. Shepov, "Patch slot antenna with circular polarization for the high-accuracy positioning using GNSS signals," 23th International Crimean Conference ``Microwave & Telecommunication”, 596-597, Sevastopol, Crimea, Ukraine, 2013.
8. Sun, C., H. Zheng, L. Zhang, and Y. Liu, "Wideband compact circularly polarized patch antenna loaded with shorting probe for GNSS applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 12, 1512-1521, 2014.
9. Li, X., L. Yang, and M. Wang, "Novel design of strip line L-shape probe-fed wideband metallic contact stacked patch antenna for GNSS application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 16, 2010-2019, 2013.
10. Li, X., L. Yang, and M. Wang, "Novel design of multilayer wideband shorted annular stacked patch antenna for GNSS application with dual layer strip lines fed," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 9, 1187-1195, 2013.
11. Zhang, Y.-Q., X. Li, L. Yang, and S.-X. Gong, "Dual-band circularly polarized annular-ring microstrip antenna for GNSS applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 615-618, 2013.
12. Maqsood, M., B. Bhandari, S. Gao, R. De Vos Van Steenwijk, and M. Unwin, "Dual-band circularly polarized antennas for GNSS remote sensing onboard small satellites," IEEE CSNDSP, Vol. 1, 86-90, 2010.
13. Basta, N., M. V. T. Heckler, and A. Dreher, "Study on a stacked patch antenna element for dual-band GNSS array," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Toronto, ON, Canada, 2010.
14. Popugaev, A. E., R. Wansch, and S. Urquijo, "A novel high performance antenna for GNSS applications," The European Conference of Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Edinburgh, UK, 2007.
15. Tatanikov, D., A. Astakhov, and A. Stepanenko, "Convex GNSS reference station antenna," IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Technology (ICMT), 6288-6291, Hangzhou, China, 2011.
16. Djebari, M. and A. Abdelhadi, "Compact multi-band rectangular slotted antenna for global navigation satellite systems (GNSS)," IEEE SIECPC, 1-5, Fira, Greece, 2013.
17. Clenet, M., M. Caillet, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Wideband circularly polarized antenna elements for GPS/GNSS applications developed at DRDC Ottawa," ANTEM-AMEREM, 1-4, Ottawa, ON, Canada, 2014.
18. Li, Q. and Z. Shen, "Inverted microstrip-feed cavity-backed slot antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 98-101, 2002.
19. Mussler, M. E., "Cavity-backed slot antenna,", US patent 4733245, Mar. 1988.
20. Sanford, G. S., "Cavity-backed slot antenna,", US patent 6160522, Apr. 1998.
21. Johnson, R. S., "Wideband cavity-backed slot antenna,", US patent 2011/0273351 A1, Nov. 2011.