In this letter, a compact branch-line coupler using a new type of uniplanar composite right/left-handed transmission line (CRLH-TL) is proposed. The transmission line is obtained by etching spiral structure and series meandered capacitive gaps at both ends on the host line. With the aid of lumped element equivalent circuit model and dispersion relations, the CRLH property of the line is studied. By using the proposed structures, the 90-degree phase shift 35.35 ohm and 50 ohm transmission lines are designed for a compact branch-line coupler operating at 1 GHz. It's occupied size is only 32.5% of that of the conventional one. Its uniplanar prototype makes it very useful for wireless communication systems requiring high encapsulation quality.
2. Chang, W.-S. and C. Y. Chang, "A high slow-wave factor microstrip structure with simple design formulas and its application to microwave circuit design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, 3376-3383, 2012.
3. Wang, J.-P., J. Ni, S. Zhao, and Y.-X. Guo, "Compact microstrip ring branch-line coupler with harmonic suppression," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 16, 2119-2126, 2009.
4. Sung, Y.-J., C.-S. Ahn, and Y.-S. Kim, "Size reduction and harmonic suppression of rat-race hybrid coupler using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, 7-9, 2004.
5. Tang, C.-W. and M.-G. Chen, "Synthesizing microstrip branch-line couplers with predetermined compact size and bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, 1926-1934, 2007.
6. Tang, C-W., M.-G. Chen, and C.-H. Tsai, "Miniaturization of microstrip branch-line coupler with dual transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, 185-187, 2008.
7. Chen, W.-L. and G.-M. Wang, "Exact design of novel miniaturised fractal-shaped branch-line couplers using phaseequalising method," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 2, 773-780, 2008.
8. Ghali, H. and T. A. Moselhy, "Miniaturized fractal rat-race, branch-line, and coupled-line hybrids," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, 2513-2520, 2004.
9. Ma, Y.-B., H.-W. Zhang, and Y.-X. Li, "Novel symmetrical coupled-line directional coupler based on resonant-type composite right/left-handed transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 213-226, 2013.
10. Bonache, J., G. Siso, M. Gil, A. Iniesta, J. Garcıa-Rincon, and F. Martın, "Application of composite right/left handed (CRLH) transmission lines based on complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs) to the design of dual-band microwave components," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, 524-526, 2008.
11. Lin, I.-H., M.-D. Vincentis, C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Arbitrary dual-band components using composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 14, 1142-1149, 2004.
12. Dong, Y.-D. and T. Itoh, "Application of composite right/left-handed half-mode substrate integrated waveguide to the design of a dual band rat-race coupler," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 712-715, 2010.
13. Gil, M., et al., "New left handed microstrip lines with complementary split rings resonators (CSRRs) etched in the signal strip," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1419-1422, 2007.
14. Dong, Y.-D. and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, 2271-2285, 2012.
15. Lu, K., G.-M. Wang, C.-X. Zhang, and Y.-W. Wang, "Design of miniaturized branch-line coupler based on novel spiral-based resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 16, 2244-2253, 2011.
16. Duran-Sindreu, M., G. Siso, J. Bonache, and F. Martın, "Planar multi-band microwave components based on the generalized composite right/left handed transmission line concept," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 12, 3882-3890, 2010.