This paper presents a broadband hexa-band dual-polarized loop antenna for mobile communications. Two orthogonal one-wavelength-perimeter modes of a rectangular loop are excited by two orthogonal feedings. One mode for vertical polarization is excited by a circular monopole, and the other mode for horizontal polarization is excited by a slot-coupled microstrip line. By optimizing the antenna structure and the orthogonal feedings, the orthogonal polarizations can be achieved in a wide bandwidth with high ports isolation. The overall size of the proposed antenna is only 58×53 mm2 (0.43λ0×0.39λ0, λ0 is the free-space wavelength at 2.2 GHz). A prototype of the proposed antenna is built and tested. The measured bandwidth with reflection coefficient less than -10 dB is 61.4% (1.65-3 GHz) for both orthogonal polarizations, covering the DCS, PCS, UMTS, WLAN, LTE 2300, and LTE 2500 operation. The measured ports isolation is better than 28 dB over the entire band. In addition, the radiation patterns, gains and diversity performance are also discussed.
2. Zhang, S., B. K. Lau, A. Sunesson, and S. He, "Closely-packed UWB MIMO/diversity antenna with different patterns and polarizations for USB dongle applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4372-4380, Sep. 2012.
3. Su, D., J. J. Qian, H. Yang, and D. Fu, "A novel broadband polarization diversity antenna using a cross-pair of folded dipoles," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 433-435, 2005.
4. Wu, B. Q. and K. M. Luk, "A broadband dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna with simple feeds," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 60-63, 2009.
5. Liu, Y., H. Li, F. Wang, and S. Gong, "A novel miniaturized broadband dual-p olarized dipole antenna for base station," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1335-1338, 2013.
6. Nguyen, V. A., R. S. Aziz, S. O. Park, and G. Yoon, "A design of multiband, dual-polarization, beam-switchable dual-antenna for indoor base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 149, 147-160, 2014.
7. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Broadband dual polarization patch element for cellular-phone base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 12, 251-253, Feb. 2002.
8. Gao, S., L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A broad-band dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with aperture coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 898-900, Apr. 2003.
9. Deng, C., Y. Li, Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "A wideband high-isolated dual-polarized patch antenna using two different balun feedings," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1617-1619, 2014.
10. Peng, H.-L., W.-Y. Yin, J.-F. Mao, D. Huo, X. Hang, and L. Zhou, "A compact dual-polarized broadband antenna with hybrid beam-forming capabilities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 253-271, 2011.
11. Secmen, M. and A. Hizal, "A dual-polarized wide-band patch antenna for indoor mobile communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 189-200, 2010.
12. Moradi, , K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.
13. Xie, J.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Ren, and T. Wang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop feeds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 499-515, 2012.
14. Huang, C. Y., T. W. Chiou, and K. L. Wong, "Dual-polarized dielectric resonator antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 31, 222-223, 2001.
15. Gao, Y., Z. Feng, and L. Zhang, "Compact CPW-fed dielectric resonator antenna with dual polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag., Vol. 10, 544-547, 2011.
16. Soliman, E. A., M. S. Ibrahim, and A. K. Abdelmageed, "Dual-polarized omnidirectional planar slot antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 9, 3093-3097, Sep. 2005.
17. Hsuan, L. C., C. S. Yuan, and H. Powen, "Isosceles triangular slot antenna for broadband dual polarization applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3347-3351, Oct. 2009.
18. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, W. Chen, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "A dual-polarization slot antenna using a compact CPW feeding structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 191-194, 2010.
19. Jiang, X., Z. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. Feng, "A wideband dual-polarized slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1010-1013, 2013.
20. Baek, S. and S. Lim, "Compact planar MIMO antenna array with polarisation diversity on single layer," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 13, 880-882, Jun. 2010.
21. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, W. Chen, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "Dual-mode loop antenna with compact feed for polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 95-98, 2011.
22. Vaughan, R. and J. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, Nov. 1987.
23. Gao, Y., X. chen, Z. Ying, and C. Parini, "Design and performance investigation of a dual-element PIFA array at 2.5 GHz for MIMO terminal," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3422-3440, Dec. 2007.
24. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, J. Zheng, and Z. Feng, "Compact azimuthal omnidirectional dual-polarized antenna using highly isolated colocated slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4037-4045, Sep. 2012.