A new method of electrodynamic analysis of gyrotropic (isotropic and anisotropic) media is developed. This method is based on the scalar representation of Maxwell's equations corresponding to 4×4- matrix formulation and coupling equations for gyrotropic medium in the Drude's form. It is utilized by solving the wave equations of second and fourth order, followed by cross-linking the fields at the boundary. The obtained results are experimentally verified by their good matching with the popular benchmark data, such as quartz rotatory power and in comparison with a known standard parameter of an optical element, such as λ/4-plate. This method simply summarizes the polarimetric and ellipsometric calculations.
2. Teitler, S. and B. W. Henvis, "Refraction in stratified, anisotropic media," JOSA, Vol. 60, 830, 1970.
3. Kozak, M. I., "General approach in polarimetry-ellipsometric calculation," Proc. of the X Int. Conf. “Electronics and Applied Physics”, 197-198, Kyiv, 2014.
4. Landau, L. D. and E. M. Lifshitz, Electrodynamics of Continuous Media, Butterworth-Heinemann, 1979.
5. Drude, P., Lehrbuch der Optik, Verlag von S. Hirzel, Leipzig, 1912.
6. Tellegen, B. D. H., "The gyrator, a new electric network element," Philips Res. Rept., Vol. 3, 81-101, Apr. 1948.
7. Kamke, E., Differential Gleichungen, Leipzig, 1959.
8. Yariv, A. and P. Yeh, Optical Waves in Crystals, John Wiley & Sons, 1984.
9., , http://www.crystran.co.uk/optical-materials/quartz-crystal-sio2.
10. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Pergamon Press, Oxford, London, Edinburg, New York, Paris, Frankfurt, 1968.
11. Azzam, R. M. A. and N. M. Bashara, Ellipsometry and Polarized Light, North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford, 1977.
12. Kozak, M. I., V. N. Zhikharev, I. P. Studenyak, and I. D. Seikovski, "Ellipsometric determination of the optical constants of glassy As2S3 thin films in the weak absorption region," Optics and Spectroscopy, Vol. 101, No. 4, 602-604, 2006.