A new printed helical antenna (PHA) for a circularly polarized (CP) titled beam is proposed. With the introduction of a multiple sections technique into the PHA's helical arm, the antenna radiates a CP titled beam. To feed the antenna, a matching network composed of a 50 Ω microstrip transmission line and two symmetrical λ0/8 open stubs is designed. The simulated and measured results show that the PHA radiates a CP tilted beam with a maximum radiation direction of (θmax, φmax) = (32°, 135°) at f0 = 2.11 GHz. The measured bandwidth with a reflection coefficient lower than −10 dB is 11.8% (1.99-2.24 GHz), and the experimental results for the radiation pattern, gain, and axial ratio (AR) are also presented.
2. Nakano, H., J. Eto, Y. Okabe, and J. Yamauchi, "Tilted- and axial-beam formation by a single arm rectangular spiral antenna with compact dielectric substrate and conducting plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 1, 17-23, Jan. 2002.
3. Mehta, A., A. Sanada, D. M. Syhakal, and H. Nakano, "A low profile tilted beam single arm spiral antenna on a high impedance surface for beam steering applications," IEEE IWAT 2007, 408-411, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
4. Fusco, V. and P. H. Rao, "Printed backfire wideband circularly polarized tapered gap loop antenna," Proc. IEE Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 149, 261-264, Dec. 2002.
5. Ravindranath, P., S. Raghavan, and P. H. Rao, "Circularly polarized tilted beam microstrip antenna," IEEE ICCCNT’12, 521-524, Coimbatore, India, Jul. 2012.
6. Nakano, H., N. Aso, N. Mizobe, and J. Yamauchi, "Low-profile composite helical-spiral antenna for a circularly-polarized tilted beam," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2710-2713, 2011.
7. Nakano, H., Y. Shinma, and J. Yamauchi, "A monofilar spiral antenna and its array above a ground plane-formation of a circularly polarized tilted fan beam," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1506-1511, 1997.