An improved mutual coupling calibration approach based on the element pattern reconstruction (EPR) method is proposed in this paper. Compared to previous calibration methods in which the calibration is carried out in the entire space, the space angle ranges to be calibrated in this method is partitioned according to the interested directions. Through the partition of the space angle region, the angle ranges to calibrate are narrowed, and thus more accurate calibration matrix can be obtained in corresponding angle regions. With the employment of the calibration matrix on 2-D DOA estimation, more effective mutual coupling calibration and more accurate DOA estimations are achieved by alternate iteration in each angle region. The validity of this method is verified by an L-shaped microstrip antenna array, and the performance of mutual coupling calibration is presented by the better accuracy in 2-D DOA estimations.
2. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, Mar. 1986.
3. Kummer, W. H., "Basic array theory," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 127-140, Jan. 1992.
4. Forster, P., P. Larzabal, and E. Boyer, "Threshold performance analysis of maximum likelihood DOA estimation," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 2, No. 11, 3183-3191, 2004.
5. Gupta, J. and A. A. Ksienski, "Effect of mutual coupling on the performance of adaptive arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 5, 785-791, Sep. 1983.
6. Hui, H. T., "Improved compensation for the mutual coupling effect in a dipole array for direction finding," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2498-2503, 2003.
7. Lui, H.-S. and H. T. Hui, "Effective mutual coupling compensation for direction-of-arrival estimations using a new, accurate determination method for the receiving mutual impedance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 271-281, 2010.
8. Edwin Lau, C. K., R. S. Adve, and T. K. Sarkar, "Minimum norm mutual coupling compensation with applications in direction of arrival estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2034-2041, Aug. 2004.
9. Friedlander, B. and A. J. Weiss, "Direction finding in the presence of mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, No. 3, 273-284, Mar. 1991.
10. Lin, M. and L. Yang, "Blind calibration and DOA estimation with uniform circular arrays in the presence of mutual coupling," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 315-318, 2006.
11. Sellone, F. and A. Serra, "An iterative algorithm for the compensation of toeplitz mutual coupling in uniform and linear arrays," 12th Digital Signal Processing Workshop, 438-443, 2006.
12. Khallaayoun, A., R.Weber, and Y. Huang, "A blind iterative calibration method for high resolution DOA estimation ," IEEE Military Communication Conference, 199-204, 2011.
13. Huang, Q., H. Zhou, J. Bao, and X. Shi, "Mutual coupling calibration for microstrip antenna arrays via element pattern reconstruction method," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 51-54, Jan. 2014.
14. Huang, Q., H. Zhou, J. Bao, and X. Shi, "Accurate calibration of mutual coupling for conformal antenna arrays," Electronic Letters, Vol. 49, No. 23, 1418-1420, Nov. 2013.
15. Huang, Q., et al., "Accurate DOA estimations using microstrip adaptive arrays in the presence of mutual coupling effect," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation 2013, 2013.
16. Hua, Y. and T. Sarkar, "An L-shaped array for estimating 2-D direction of wave arrival," IEEE Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 2, 143-146, Feb. 2006.
17. Yaezawa, J. and H. Arai, "Calibration technique in two-dimensional DOA estimation using two linear arrays," Proc. 2006 IEEE APS, 211.8, Aug. 2006.
18. Yaezawa, J. and H. Arai, "Two-dimensional DOA estimation using L-shaped patch array by light calibration technique," IEEE TENCON, 2007.