A broadband circularly polarized planar antenna based on a quarter-mode substrate integrated cylindrical cavity subarray is presented in this communication. It is composed of two layers: a quarter-mode substrate integrated cylindrical Cavity (QMSICC) subarray and the feeding network comprised of three Wilkinson power dividers. The measured 10-dB return loss and 3-dB axial ratio bandwidths at the center frequency 5.2 GHz are 40% and 25.5%, respectively. The gain measured for right-hand circular polarization (RHCP) is 4.6 dBi at 5.2 GHz. And it will be used in WLAN operating at 5.2 GHz.
2. Hirokawa, J. and M. Ando, "Efficiency of 76-GHz post-wall waveguide-fed parallel-plate slot arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 11, 1742-1745, Nov. 2000.
3. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Accurate modeling, wave mechanisms, and design considerations of a substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2516-2526, Jun. 2006.
4. Cassivi, Y., et al., "Dispersion characteristics of subsrtate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 9, 333-335, 2002.
5. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, 2005.
6. Luo, G. Q., Z. F. Hu, Y. Liang, L. Y. Yu, and L. L. Sun, "Development of low profile cavity backed crossed slot antennas for planar integration," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2972-2979, Oct. 2009.
7. Razavi, S. and M. Neshati, "Development of a low profile circularly polarized cavity backed antenna using HMSIW technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1041-1047, 2013.
8. Jin, C., R. Li, A. Alphones, and X. Bao, "Quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide and its application to antennas design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 6, 2921-2928, Jun. 2013.
9. Li, Y., et al., "Axial ratio bandwidth enhancement of 60-GHz substrate integrated waveguide-fed circular polarized LTCC antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4619-4626, Oct. 2012.
10. Luan, X.-Z. and K.-J. Tan, "Equivalent radius analytic formulas of substrate integrated cylindrical cavity," Proc. Antenna & Propagation (ISAP), 746-749, 2013.
11. Harrington, R. F., Time-harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, 2nd Ed., Chapter 5.4, Wiley-IEEE, 2001.
12. Sam, S. and S. Lim, "Electrically small eighth-mode substrate-integrated waveguide antenna with different resonant frequencies depending on rotation of complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 10, 4933-4939, 2013.
13. Kang, H. and S. Lim, "Electrically small dual-band reconfigurable complementary split-ring resonator (CSRR)-loaded eighth-mode substrate integrated waveguide (EMSIW) antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2368-2373, 2014.
14. CST Microwave Studio (MWS) CST Corporation, , Online Available: http://www.cst.com, 2008.