In this paper, a pattern diversity antenna, capable of radiating broad side as well as conical radiation patterns using quarter mode substrate integrated waveguide sub-array, has been presented. The pattern diversity is achieved by in-phase and out-of-phase excitation of the sub-array using a rat-race coupler feed network. The overall profile height of the proposed antenna is 3.17 mm. The measured performance of the antenna, in terms of return loss, isolation, gain and diversity performance in the -10 dB impedance bandwidth, is in agreement with the simulated results. The proposed sub-array occupies 25% less area than the conventional microstrip antenna.
2. Wang, R., L.-S. Wu, and X.-L. Zhou, "Compact folded substrate integrated waveguide cavities and bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 135-147, 2008.
3. Hong, W., K. Wu, H. Tang, J. Chen, P. Chen, Y. Cheng, and J. Xu, "SIW-like guided wave structures and applications," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E92-C, No. 9, 1111-1123, 2009.
4. Cheng, Y. J., "Substrate integrated waveguide frequency-agile slot antenna and its multibeam application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 153-168, 2012.
5. Sam, S. and S. Lim, "Frequency reconfigurable substrate integrated waveguide antenna," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP) 2012, 822-825, Oct. 29-Nov. 2, 2012.
6. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Substrate integrated composite right-/left-handed leaky-wave structure for polarization-flexible antenna application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 760-771, Feb. 2012.
7. Liu, J., D. R. Jackson, and Y. Long, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) leaky-wave antenna with transverse slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 20-29, Jan. 2012.
8. Hong, W., B. Liu, Y. Wang, Q. Lai, H. Tang, X.-X. Yin, Y.-D. Dong, Y. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application," Joint 31st International Conference on Infrared Millimeter Waves and 14th International Conference on Teraherz Electronics, 2006, 219-219, Sep. 18-22, 2006.
9. Suntives, A. and S. V. Hum, "A fixed-frequency beam-steerable half-mode substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2540-2544, May 2012.
10. Jin, C., R. Li, A. Alphones, and X. Bao, "Quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide and its application to antennas design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 6, 2921-2928, Jun. 2013.
11. Jin, C., Z. Shen, R. Li, and A. Alphones, "Compact circularly polarized antenna based on quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide sub-array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 963-967, Feb. 2014.
12. Sarrazin, J., Y. Mahe, S. Avrillon, and S. Toutain, "Pattern reconfigurable cubic antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 2, 310-317, Feb. 2009.
13. Nikolaou, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, C. L. Jr, I. Carrasquillo, D. C. Thompson, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using pin diodes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 4, 439-448, Apr. 2006.
14. Yang, S. L. and K. Luk, "Design of a wide-band L-probe patch antenna for pattern reconfiguration or diversity applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 433-438, Feb. 2006.
15. Wei, K., Z. Zhang, W. Chen, and Z. Feng, "A novel hybrid-fed patch antenna with pattern diversity," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 562-565, 2010.
16. Sun, L., W. Huang, B. Sun, Q. Sun, and J. Fan, "Two-port pattern diversity antenna for 3G and 4G MIMO indoor applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1573-1576, 2014.
17. Jiang, X., Z. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. Feng, "A novel null scanning antenna using even and odd modes of a shorted patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 4, 1903-1909, Apr. 2014.
18. Meshram, M. K., R. K. Animeh, A. T. Pimpale, and N. K. Nikolova, "A novel quad-band diversity antenna for LTE and Wi-Fi applications with high isolation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4360-4371, 2012.
19. Khaleghi, A., "Diversity techniques with parallel dipole antennas: Radiation pattern analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 23-42, 2006.
20. Wang, A., Z. Feng, and K.-M. Luk, "Pattern and polarization diversity antenna with high isolation for portable wireless devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 209-211, 2009.