In this letter, a novel sleeve antenna with wideband characteristic is presented for wireless communication applications. By employing a sleeve structure, impedance bandwidth of the antenna is improved through exciting a new resonant point. To obtain an impedance bandwidth enhancement further, four symmetrical ridges are introduced between the sleeve and the main radiator. An excellent wideband impedance bandwidth for VSWR≤2 of 148.45% is achieved, covering the frequency range from 1.04 to 7.03 GHz, and good monopole-like radiation patterns are obtained where the un-roundness in the H-plane is less than 1.49 dB. It is very suitable for recent wireless communication services such as DCS, PCS1900, UMTS, IMT2000, WLAN, WiMAX2350/3500, WiBro, etc.
2. Teni, G., N. Zhang, and J. H. Qiu, "Research on a novel folded monopole with ultrawideband bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 802-805, 2014.
3. Bai, X. D., X. L. Liang, C. H. Zhang, J. P. Geng, and R. H. Jin, "A UHF broadband spider-shaped monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 782-785, 2014.
4. Xu, K. W., Z. B. Zhu, H. Li, J. T, Huangfu, C. Z. Li, and L. X. Ran, "A printed single-layer UWB monopole antenna with extended ground plane stubs," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 237-240, 2013.
5. Foudazi, A., H. R. Hassani, and S. M. A. Nezhad, "Small UWB planar monopole antenna with added GPS/GSM/WLAN bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2987-2992, Jun. 2012.
6. Zhang, Z. Y., G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, S.-L. Zuo, and Q.-Y. Lu, "Sleeve monopole antenna for DVB-H applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 13, 879-880, Jun. 24, 2010.
7. Zhang, Z. Y., G. Fu, W.-J. Wu, J. Lei, and S.-X. Gong, "A wideband dual-sleeve monopole antenna for indoor base station application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 45-48, 2011.
8. Zhang, Z. Y., X. D. Yang, S. L. Zuo, and G. Fu, "Wideband omnidirectional printed dipole antenna with dumbbell-shaped open sleeve for wireless communication applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 15, 1299-1304, 2014.
9. Li, Y., Z.-Y. Zhang, Q.-Q. Liu, Y.-X. Zhang, and G. Fu, "A novel wideband sleeve antenna with capacitive annulus for wireless communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 52, 1-6, 2014.
10. Thomas, K. G., N. Lenin, and M. Screenivasan, "Wide-band dual sleeve antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1034-1037, Mar. 2005.
11. Li, J.-Y. and Y.-B. Gan, "Multi-band characteristic of open sleeve antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 135-148, 2006.