In this paper, three omnidirectional microstrip array antennas are optimized, fabricated and measured. The proposed planar antennas are composed from series of microstrip line sections with inverted top and bottom conductors at each section. The antenna design parameters are optimized to design three different antennas: wide bandwidth, high-gain and dual-band antennas. In the wideband antenna, a good impedance matching is obtained for relative bandwidth of 31% that covers the frequency range of WLAN. The dualband omnidirectional antenna operates at 2.45 GHz and 5.25 GHz with gain of 6.69 dBi and 7.71 dBi, respectively. Also, the optimized high-gain antenna achieves 9.3 dBi gain. The three optimized antennas are fabricated and tested. The measurement results show a very good agreement with the simulation ones. The optimization results verify the ability and capability of the antenna to achieve the desired specifications.
2. Wang, B., F. Zhang, L. Jiang, Q. Li, and J. Ren, "A broadband omnidirectional antenna array for base station," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 54, 95-101, 2014.
3. Tze-Meng, O., T. K. Geok, and A. W. Reza, "A dual-band omni-directional microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 363-376, 2010.
4. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-fed multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008.
5. Quan, X. L., R. L. Li, J. Y. Wang, and Y. H. Cui, "Development of a broadband horizontally polarized omnidirectional planar antenna and its array for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 441-456, 2012.
6. Solbach, K., "Microstrip-Franklin antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 4, 773-775, 1982.
7. Judasz, T. J., W. L. Ecklund, and B. B. Balsley, "The coaxial collinear antenna: Current distribution from the cylindrical antenna equation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 3, 327-331, Mar. 1987.
8. Bancroft, R. and B. Bateman, "An omnidirectional microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 3151-3153, Nov. 2004.
9. Bancroft, R. and B. Bateman, "An omnidirectional planar microstrip antenna with low sidelobes," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, 68-69, Jul. 2004.
10. Bancroft, R., "Design parameters of an omnidirectional planar microstrip antenna," Microwav and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 5, 414-418, Dec. 2005.
11. Wei, K. P., Z. J. Zhang, and Z. H. Feng, "Design of a dualband omnidirectional planar microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 101-120, 2012.
12. Li, J., "An omnidirectional microstrip antenna for WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, No. 1, 67-169, 2011.
13. Wei, K., Z. Zhang, W. Chen, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "A triband shunt-fed omnidirectional planar dipole array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 850-853, 2010.
14. Yu, Y., Z. Shen, and S. He, "Compact omnidirectional antenna of circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1466-1469, 2012.
15. Deng, C., P. Li, and W. Cao, "A high-isolation dual-polarization patch antenna with omnidirectional radiation patterns," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1273-1276, 2012.