In this paper, a compact microstrip fed ultra-wideband antenna with a band notch characteristic is presented. The proposed antenna consists of two tridents and two uneven split ring resonators. The overall size of the antenna is 26 mm × 24 mm × 1.53 mm. By adding the uneven split ring resonators to the dual trident ultra-wideband antenna, a band notch of 5.05 GHz to 5.9 GHz is achieved. The band notch is adjusted by the size and the split locations of the resonators. CST microwave studios software was used to simulate the design. The measured |S11| (dB) pass band and notch band agree with the simulation within the frequency band from 3.65 GHz to 12.85 GHz.
2. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band-notches for lower WLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, Dec. 2009.
3. Sim, C.-Y.-D., W.-T. Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "Planar UWB antenna with 5 GHz band rejection switching function at ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 321-333, 2010.
4. Natarajamani, S., S. K. Behera, and S. K. Patra, "Planar ultrawideband antenna with 5.5 GHz band dispensation characteristics," 2010 Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON), 1-4, Dec. 17-19, 2010.
5. Wu, S.-J., C.-H. Kang, K.-H. Chen, and J.-H. Tarng, "Study of an ultrawideband monopole antenna with a band-notched open-looped resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1890-1897, Jun. 2010.
6. Chu, Q.-X. and T.-G. Huang, "Compact UWB antenna with sharp band-notched characteristics for lower WLAN band," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 15, 838-839, Jul. 21, 2011.
7. Guan, X., H. Deng, H. Liu, C. Wang, and Z. Liu, "Novel band-notch monopole ultra-wideband antenna with external load," 2012 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), Vol. 3, 1-4, May 5-8, 2012.
8. Sarkar, D., K. V. Srivastava, and K. Saurav, "A compact microstrip-fed triple band-notched UWB monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 396-399, 2014.
9. Koohestani, M., N. Pires, A. K. Skrivervik, and A. A. Moreira, "Band-reject ultra-wideband monopole antenna using patch loading," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 16, 974-975, Aug. 2, 2012.
10. Ali-Akbari, E., M.-N. Azarmanesh, and S. Soltani, "Design of miniaturised band-notch ultra-wideband monopole-slot antenna by modified half-mode substrate-integrated waveguide," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 1, 26-34, Jan. 11, 2013.
11. Sharma, M. M., A. Kumar, Y. Ranga, and D. Bhatnagar, "An ultra-wideband antenna with axis symmetrical elliptical slots for tunable band-notched characteristics," 2011 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 725-728, Dec. 5-8, 2011.
12. Denidni, T. A. and Z.Weng, "Hybrid ultrawideband dielectric resonator antenna and band-notched designs," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 4, 450-458, Mar. 21, 2011.
13. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
14. Gao, P., S. He, X. Wei, Z. Xu, N. Wang, and Y. Zheng, "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014.
15. Kalteh, A. A., R. Fallahi, and M. G. Roozbahani, "Design of a band-notched microstrip circular slot antenna for UWB communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 113-123, 2010.
16. Lee, D.-H., H.-Y. Yang, and Y.-K. Cho, "Tapered slot antenna with band-notched function ultrawideband radios," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 682-685, 2012.
17. Wang, Y. F., T. A. Denidni, Q. S. Zeng, and G. Wei, "Band-notched UWB rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 7, 483-484, Mar. 27, 2014.
18. Gorla, H. R., K. F. Shaw, D. Addison, and F. J. Harackiewicz, "Ultra wideband dual trident planar antenna," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1871-1872, 2014.