In this paper, an ultra-wideband (UWB) conformal monopole antenna integrated with a narrow-band (NB) rectangular slot antenna is designed and fabricated. The proposed structure consists of a circular disc monopole antenna printed on a cylindrical surface, and fed by a coplanar waveguide line (CPW). A rectangular slot antenna that is excited by a microstrip line, is integrated in the front of the UWB antenna. The simulations are performed using the CST Microwave Studio software. To validate the proposed antenna concept, an experimental prototype is fabricated and measured. The measured results show that the monopole antenna covers an ultra wideband from 2 GHz to 12 GHz with S11 < -10 dB and provides a very good isolation with a transmission coefficient below -20 dB across the operating band. Compared to planar integrated antennas, the proposed conformed structure possesses an important wideband, which can be used in many wearable electronic applications and communication systems.
2. Al-Husseini, M., L. Safatly, A. H. Ramadan, A. El-Hajj, K. Y. Kabalan, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable filter antennas for pulse adaptation in UWB cognitive radio systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 37, 327-342, 2012.
3. Chacko, B. P., G. Augustin, and T. A. Denidni, "Uniplanar polarization diversity antenna for ultra-wideband systems," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 10, 851-857, 2013.
4. Li, Y., W. Li, and Q. Ye, "A reconfigurable wide slot antenna integrated with sirs for UWB/multiband communication applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 1, 52-55, 2013.
5. Lin, P. and C.-L. Ruan, "Design and time-domain analysis of compact multi-band-notched UWB antennas with EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 339-357, 2013.
6. Lin, P. and C.-L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, 2011.
7. Li, L., S.W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable UWB applications with band-notched characteristic ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 5, 1917-1924, 2015.
8. Erfani, E., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, M. Niroo-Jazi, and T. A. Denidni, "Design and implementation of an integrated UWB/reconfigurable-slot antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 77-80, 2012.
9. Messaoudene, I., T. A. Denidni, and A. Benghalia, "Ultra-wideband DRA integrated with narrow-band slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 3, 139-141, 2014.
10. Wang, Y., S. Liu, T. A. Denidni, Q. Zeng, and G. Wei, "Integrated ultra-wideband plannar monopole with cylindrical dielectric Resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 44, 41-53, 2013.
11. Ebrahimi, E., J. R. Kelly, and P. S. Hall, "Integrated wide-narrowband antenna for multi-standard radio," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 7, 2628-2635, 2011.
12. Messaoudene, I., T. A. Denidni, and A. Benghalia, "A hybrid integrated ultra wideband/dual-band antenna with high isolation ," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, available on CJO2015, doi: 10.1017/S1759078715000033.
13. Messaoudene, I., T. A. Denidni, and A. Benghalia, "Experimental investigations of ultra-wideband antenna integrated with dielectric resonator antenna for cognitive radio applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 45, 33-42, 2013.
14. Ahmed, O. M. H., A. R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Size reduction and bandwidth enhancement of a UWB hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for short-range wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 19-30, 2010.
15. Augustin, G., B. P. Chacko, and T. A. Denidni, "Electronically reconfigurable uni-planar antenna for cognitive radio applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 5, 367-376, 2014.
16. Nikolaou, S., M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Papapolymerou, "Study of a conformal UWB elliptical monopole antenna on Flexible organic substrate mounted on cylindrical Surfaces," The 18th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC’07), 1-4, 2007.
17. Khedrouche, D., F. Bouttout, T. Fortaki, and A. Benghalia, "Spectral-domain analysis of multilayer cylindrical–rectangular microstrip antennas," Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, Vol. 33, 930-939, 2009.
18. Svezhentsev, A. Y., "Some far Field features of cylindrical microstrip antenna on an electrically small cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 223-244, 200.
19. Pirai, M. and H. R. Hassani, "L-probe fed circular polarized wideband planar patch antenna on cylindrical structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 161-167, 2008.
20. Emad, S. A., "Conformal band-notch UWB monopole antenna on finite cylindrical substrates," ETASR — Engineering, Technology and Applied Science Research, Vol. 3, No. 3, 440-445, 2013.
21. Das, D. K., M. Ahmed, and A. Rahman, "Study of conformal self-complimentary dipole antenna designed On various non-planar surfaces," IEEE, International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 207-210, 2013.