In this paper, a dual-band circularly polarized (CP) patch antenna with left-hand circular polarization (LHCP) in the lower band and right-hand circular polarization (RHCP) in the higher band is proposed. On the basis of aperture coupled feed, the dual-band circular polarizations are achieved by adopting two rectangular patches with different rotation angles on the front and back of a substrate. A good agreement between the simulated and measured results is obtained. The 10-dB impedance bandwidths and 3 dB Axial Ratio (AR) bandwidths are 18.4% (1.93-2.32 GHz) and 3.2% (2.14-2.21 GHz) in the lower band and 12.4% (2.58-2.92 GHz) and 1.7% (2.84-2.89 GHz) in the higher band, respectively. The proposed antenna with its simple structure, compact size and excellent performanceprovides a reference forcommunication system applications.
2. Hsu, S. H. and K. Chang, "A novel reconfigurable microstrip antenna with switchable circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 160-162, 2007.
3. Dorsey, W. M. and A. I. Zaghloul, "Dual-band, dual-circularly polarized antenna element," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, 283-290, 2013.
4. Ramya, R. and T. R. Rao, "Circularly polarized dual band micro strip patch antenna for vehicular wireless network communications," IEEE International Conference on Advanced Networks and Telecommuncations Systems (ANTS), 1-4, 2014.
5. Zhou, P. Y., X. H. Ye, and M. He, "A dual-band U-slot microstrip antenna with dual-feed ," IEEE International Conference on Microwave Technology & Computational Electromagnetics (ICMTCE), 146-148, 2013.
6. Yang, K. P. and K. L. Wong, "Dual-band circularly-polarized rectangular microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, 377-382, 2001.
7. Zhu, W., S. Q. Xiao, R. Yuan, and M. C. Tang, "Broadband and dual circularly polarized patch antenna with H-shaped aperture," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 549-550, 2014.
8. Yu, D., S. X. Gong, Y. T. Wan, and W. F. Chen, "Omnidirectional dual-band dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna using TM01 and TM02 modes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1104-1107, 2014.
9. Li, Li, L. Li, Y. M. Cai, C. Zhu, and C. H. Liang, "A novel design of low-profile dual-band circularly polarized antenna with meta-surface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 99, 1, 2015.
10. Min, K. S., J. Hirokawa, K. Sakurai, and M. Ando, "Phase control of circularly polarized waves from a parasitic dipole mounted above a slot," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 1348-1351, 1997.
11. Li, Y., Z. N. Chen, X. Qing, Z. Zhang, J. Xu, and Z. Feng, "Axial ratio bandwidth enhancement of 60-GHz substrate integrated waveguide circularly polarized LTCC antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 4619-4626, 2012.
12. Oraizi, H. and R. Pazoki, "Wideband circularly polarized aperture-fed rotated stacked patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, 1048-1054, 2013.
13. Pozar, D. M. and S. M. Duffy, "A dual-band circularly polarized aperture coupled stacked microstrip antenna for global positioning satellite," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, 1618-1625, 1997.
14. Min, K. S., J. Hirokawa, K. Sakurai, M. Ando, and N. Goto, "Single-layer dipole array for linear-to-circular polarization conversion of slotted waveguide array," Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, IEE Proceedings, Vol. 143, 211-216, 1996.