A simple end-fire high-gain antenna with side-lobe level suppression is proposed for 60 GHz technology in this paper. The antenna has a tapered slot radiation patch which is obtained by subtracting a quarter of ellipse from a bigger quarter. Two reflecting circle units (RCU) are located at both sides of radiant patch to suppress side-lobe level of radiation patterns. The antenna has a simple two-layered planar structure with on via and is fabricated on a Rogers 4350 substrate with a compact size of 15 mm × 15 mm. Simulated and measured results match well, and both show makes it fit 60 GHz wireless communication systems.
2. Zhang, Y. P. and D. Liu, "Antenna-on-chip and antenna-in-package solutions to highly integrated millimeter-wave devices for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2009.
3. Andrews, J. G., S. Buzzi, W. Choi, S. V. Hanly, A. Lozano, A. C. K. Soong, and J. C. Zhang, "What will 5G be?," IEEE Joural on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1065-1082, 2014.
4. Baykas, T., C.-S. Sum, L. Zhou, J.Wang, M. A. Rahman, H. Harada, and S. Kato, "IEEE 802.15.3c: The first IEEE wireless standard for data rates over 1Gb/s," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 49, No. 7, 114-121, 2011.
5. Pietraski, P., D. Britz, A. Roy, R. Pragada, and G. Charlton, "Millimeter wave and terahertz communications: Feasibility and challenges," ZTE Communications, Vol. 10, No. 4, 2012.
6. Alhalabi, R. A., Y.-C. Chiou, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Self-shielded high-efficiency Yagi-Uda antennas for 60GHz communications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 59, No. 3, 742-750, 2011.
7. Sethi, W. T., H. Vettikalladi, B. K. Minhas, and M. A. Alkanhal, "High gain and wide-band aperture-coupled microstrip patch antenna with mounted horn integrated on FR4 for 60GHz communication systems," IEEE Symposium on Wireless Technology and Applications (ISWTA), 359-362, 2013.
8. Li, Y. and K.-M. Luk, "Low-cost high-gain and broadband substrate integrated-waveguide-fed patch antenna array for 60-GHz band," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 62, No. 11, 2014.
9. Kramer, O., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Very small footprint 60 GHz stacked Yagi antenna array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 59, No. 9, 3204-3210, 2011.
10. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, K. M. Chua, L. L. Wai, D. Liu, and B. P. Gauche, "Integration of Yagi antenna in LTCC package for differential 60-GHz radio," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2008.
11. Dadgarpour, A., B. Zarghooni, B. S. Virdee, and T. A. Denidni, "Millimeter-wave high-gain end-fire bow-tie antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 63, No. 5, 2337-2342, 2015.
12. Cabrol, P. and P. Pietraski, "60 GHz patch antenna array on low cost liquid crystal polymer (LCP) substrate," IEEE Systems, Applications and Technology Conference (LISAT), 1-6, 2014.
13. Sun, M., X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "60-GHz end-fire Fan-like antennas with wide beamwidth," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 61, No. 4, 1616-1622, 2013.